back trouble/care/healing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hi all--

I have a history of back trouble (injured disc in spine + muscles that tend to cramp up and immobilize me), although despite that, in recent years, and with a lot of pro-active efforts (exercise and stretching) have been pretty free from trouble and able to cut my own wood.

Indeed, within reason, staying active with the wood cutting seems good for my back as long as I don't do anything really stupid to over-do it

Now that I ordered a gasifier, Murphy's law has just hit me with the worst back flare up in several years- I'm gimping around and in no shape to do much.

Others here must've grappled with similar issues- I'd be interested in what others have found "works" to both try to avoid the problem as much as possible, and to get on the mend as fast as possible after injury

Thanks

I know exactly what you are feeling. I turned 40 last year, I am thin and in great health. I eat a better quality diet than 99%of Americans as well. Never had a history with back problems. But the past 2 years or so I have had flare ups of back muscles just seizing up on me to where sometimes it hurts to breathe, and like a someone shoved a steel pole straight through me from my mid back to my heart area. I saw a doctor and there is nothing wrong physically. I started going to a chiropractor this past January and it has helped a bit, not the least of which him pointing to stress as the main cause of my problem. But still getting rid of stress triggers has been a challenge. Also what has helped has been a Pilates- exercise ball that I can lay face up on and stretch my back out to put a good curve back on my spine. You might try carefully using an exercise ball like this to see if it helps.

I had a weight lifting belt that gave some support, it was uncomfortable as hell but supported, and a lot of ibuprofen (sp?) I made it thru and somedays it actually helped loosen it up...you need to be your own measure of pain...don't overdue it and make it worse.

pybyr said:
Hi all--

I have a history of back trouble (injured disc in spine + muscles that tend to cramp up and immobilize me), although despite that, in recent years, and with a lot of pro-active efforts (exercise and stretching) have been pretty free from trouble and able to cut my own wood. Indeed, within reason, staying active with the wood cutting seems good for my back as long as I don't do anything really stupid to over-do it

I crushed my two lower discs playing hockey. Oddly enough, the more I work it hard, the better it is and the less i'm gimped up. The less I work it (mostly during the winter) it sours up on me and I wobble around like a Frankenstein lab cast off.

Now that I ordered a gasifier, Murphy's law has just hit me with the worst back flare up in several years- I'm gimping around and in no shape to do much.

Others here must've grappled with similar issues- I'd be interested in what others have found "works" to both try to avoid the problem as much as possible, and to get on the mend as fast as possible after injury

Thanks

Unfortunatly, been my speriance' that bad backs are like snowflakes and what works for me may not work for you. Also, what I can tolerate pain wise is probably different than what you can tolerate. I just keep working it hard and that seems to do the trick. One thing I can almost guarantee you that will be the straw that breaks your back is carrying wood on unsure/unlevel footing or stepping in a hole. That's just about all that does me in any more (and yeah, I still do it from time to time....SMRT I is eh? :sick: ). Once I wizz off that stupid nerve in the back and start gimping around then the muscles get all cluster flucked up and i'm a mess. Take a couple days off, hit a hot tub or get a back rub from the wife and relax it as much as you can...THEN try to avoid doing what wizzed it off to begin with (I know...easier said than done).

Good luck and don't let it dictate you, do the opposite.

Oh, and I might add that I cut primarily with an 046 with a 24 inch bar so I don't have to bend over so much :coolsmile:

Thanks all- and Woodconvert, it's like you say, it's the uncertain or missed footing or something I do around the house that usually fouls me up, not the real herky work with the wood- but also as you say, once one thing goes, then the disc and muscles all get tangled up and fighting with each other.

If I can avoid the initial scrunch-up, then all the woodcutting and hauling seems to actually make my back feel better, too. Job stress seems to often factor in, and doing firewood is a great antidote to that.

I do have a big (indoor) tub, and maybe, someday, if I plumb that into the new wood-heated infrastructure, there'll be all the more reason to use it often, knowing that I am not paying for oil to heat the water...

I have had a history of back problems but, knock on wood, I haven't had a flareup in a good while. Having a physical therapist in the family does wonders!

Here is what Dr. Mom recommends: Get a good waterproof heating pad and a damp washcloth. Set it up on the floor in front of a chair or sofa and lay on it with your feet up on the chair. You want your knees and back to be as close to 2-90 degree angles as possible. Crank up the heat as high as you can stand it for about 1/2 hour and just let it soak in. After you get everything heated up good, pull one knee back toward your chest as far as you can go, or until it hurts, for 5 repetitions. Repeat with the other knee for 5 reps. Repeat the stretch 5 or more times on each knee. This will stretch the tight muscles out gently in the right direction. The muscles going into spasm are what cause the problem and stretching them is the cure. Repeat this several times a day for a few days and see if things get better.

Emotional stress can be a cause, but more often the problem is bad form. Do some warmup stretches before you start the heavy work and make sure you are lifting straight up. If your back is twisted at all when you lift, you will blow out one side. And, as always, LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES!

I use a back belt when I split wood and it helps me a lot by forcing my back into line. I also usually start by stacking the wood I split the previous day before tackling any new splitting. I've found stacking is a good warmup on its own. Ibuprofen is a good anti-inflammatory and beer makes a good muscle relaxant (seriously)! Use both in moderation and standard disclaimers apply, as always.

Hope this helps!

Chris

I have 3 heriated discs, they finally let loose last fall after years of abuse. I use heat and cold plus the good stuff lortab and flexarill lol. My inlaws gave me this thing called the inverter, pretty much hangs you from your feet, works great started using it a month ago and haven't had to take a pain killer since. I started to stretch alot more before i cut and split. Never thought i would have to always been pretty limber, but in 20/20 hindsight I always stretched before rodeos and that was only 8 seconds lol

thanks again for all the additional suggestions. and thanks, xrayman, for the mention of the inversion table; I'd tried one of those when it was being shown at a trade show a few years ago, and keep thinking of getting one, but have been on the fence as to whether it really works- your experience and report suggests I may have a lot to gain and not too much to lose by trying

I've only had minor back issues for a few days at a time, and nothing lately- but that was enough for me. I have no suggestions, but just wanted to wish you luck. I just can't imagine what it would be like to have chronic pain.

I screwed up my back in a diving board accident 50 years ago. Went through three or four times a year annual hell and during wood cutting season walked bent over for weeks every year. Two years ago I popped $1,300 for a brick hard Beautyrest mattress and have not had one days problem since. Oh but that I had done it years and years ago.

Of course now that I have said that I will do something today to bend me over again. >:-(

I don't have a bad back, but I frequently have a sore back.

My sympathies.

Man thats a tough question to answer really. As stated, everyone has different response to different or same injuries.
I got 2 popped in my neck, one in lower back + the spasms. Sometimes one flares up. sometimes both areas. But always seems never do both not hurt.
The more I work mine the stiffer I get when I stop working it. But same times, if I baby it, it stiffens up.
I just take Vicodens & Percocets when its a real bad flare up. And many times like BB, I am truly a Neanderthal dragging my knuckles on the ground cause I can't stand upright.
Sometimes being a Neanderthal sucks.

Brother Bart mentioned the mattress, and yes, that can make a big difference; a few years ago, I got one of those viscoelastic foam mattresses, and it's made a huge difference in making these extreme flare-ups fewer and further between, and shorter-lived but hasn't made them go away.

I have back problems and had l-5 s-1 sugery in 2000 I find that ice is the best for sore back. I made ice pack from the vacume meat storage bag using 3 parts water 1 part rubbing alcahol

Mine is at L-7. Supposedly was going to keep me out of the Army. At the physical they were all watching the World Series and not the inductees they were examining and the next thing I knew I was on a bus to Ft. Polk, Louisiana. With a backache.

:shut:
BrotherBart said:
Mine is at L-7. Supposedly was going to keep me out of the Army. At the physical they were all watching the World Series and not the inductees they were examining and the next thing I knew I was on a bus to Ft. Polk, Louisiana. With a backache.

A) Who in the world told you the Army wouldn't take you because of a wobbley back??

B) My dad went through basic in Louisiana in the summer of 63'....he still says that the summers in Louisiana are somewhat special :shut:

woodconvert said:
BrotherBart said:

A) Who in the world told you the Army wouldn't take you because of a wobbley back??

B) My dad went through basic in Louisiana in the summer of 63'....he still says that the summers in Louisiana are somewhat special :shut:

I was there in Jan., Feb. and Mar. '67. We had snow, ice and hot muggy temps all within the time I was there in Basic Training. We joked that one day we were training for Vietnam, and the next Korea. The Pueblo was captured while we were there and we were on the verge of war with North Korea. Too.

BrotherBart said:
woodconvert said:
BrotherBart said:

I was there in Jan., Feb. and Mar. '67. We had snow, ice and hot muggy temps all within the time I was there in Basic Training. We joked that one day we were training for Vietnam, and the next Korea. The Pueblo was captured while we were there and we were on the verge of war with North Korea. Too.

Dad never mentioned snow...or anything close to it. He said it was nuclear hot, muggy, and his own folks were shooting live rounds just above his head. His number never came up though so he never ended up going. I will say this though...if you tell him you wiil be somewhere at a certain time, you better not be late!!!!!!!!!!!.

Hat's off to ya BB for your service.

And as far as the back goes....today, I put on a clinic that would leave most backs in the dumpster. I threw 3 cord to my stacking location and I cut, bucked and hauled home and unloaded another 2-3 cord of elm. And the elm was in a tuft of trees, rasberry bushes and some mo-fo bushes...it was a biotch getting it out of there. Other than some sore muscles, no problems. BUT, knock on wood, my back may blow out in a day putting on my socks.....that's how backs go IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.