back yard stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heatwise

Feeling the Heat
Sep 13, 2009
ohio
this time i left some spaces between stacks. should be somewhere around 2 cords in this area. have a great weekend everyone

Attachments

• small stacks.jpg
    small stacks.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 605
heatwise said:
this time i left some spaces between stacks. should be somewhere around 2 cords in this area. have a great weekend everyone

Looks good heatwise, what types of wood do you have?

Zap

ive got mainly red oak, also some ash, walnut ,maple ,hickory ,elm ,poplar, locust and some pine and cedar. maybe a couple others as well. i just get small amounts here and theyre and it all adds up.

Feels good, doesn't it? Are you getting a lot of rain? I noticed that you have your stacks covered already.

Good work heatwise. That is a very nice mix of wood to burn and it looks like you do like us in covering with whatever you have on hand. We just are lucky we've found enough galvanized to cover most or all of our wood.

Like snowleopard, I'd leave them uncovered for now and cover them late this coming fall or if we happen to have a really wet fall you could cover them then. We usually cover just before the snow flies.

Maybe the southwest, we get plenty of summer rain in the northwest.

My concern is high humidity and rain will slow down the drying process. Cincinnati is like a wet sponge that never drys out. I could be wrong.

heatwise said:
My concern is high humidity and rain will slow down the drying process. Cincinnati is like a wet sponge that never drys out. I could be wrong.

Up here near Cleveland is about the same. I have some 36" by length (10ft and 16 ft long) peices of "3 Rib" panel steel. I would let you have some, if you lived closer. (Ever head up North PM me) I dont know if its galvanized like Backwoods, but its left-overs from my Barn (Cleary Building). I beleive the steel panels have a 10 or 20 or maybe a 30 year warranty. I would have to look it up. I remember them saying that they Garanteed it to be a LONG time, Before the Barn Rusted. Long enough to buy a Steel building, when I live next door to an Amish Saw Mill and can get wood really cheap.

You can see the Barn in the background of this pic. I used some leftovers to make the top of my Dog Kennel, The Woodshed now. I am going to use it to cover my stacks. Dont have a real recent pic. My racks I built have a top 12 ft 2x4 that spans the lenngth of the stack for 2 reasons 1.) To help stabilize the 2 ends and 2.) to hold the 24" wide piece of roofing (Steel panels) I am going to cover them with. I have since added 4 more Wood racks (Last weekend) next to the shed. So 6 racks at 12ft long by 4.5ft tall (Half cord) is a total 3 cord in racks, about 3 cord in the shed. The rest of the wood I cut/trade/get this year will go in my barn in the back. I plan on doing a drying experiment here soon.

Attachments

• #1 Wood shed. recent..jpg
    #1 Wood shed. recent..jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 367
  • Big Wood Stacks (2).jpg
    Big Wood Stacks (2).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 374
thanks for the offer dexter, nice photos. are your stacks uncovered in summer like the rest of the gang?

looks like more than 2 cord to me. Nice work!

They currently are not under cover. Only because its still a work in Progress. I bought the 2 racks you see in the pic and then bought and built 4 more this weekend. All 6 are currently built and being filled when I get the time.. Once the wood area is all done (Rows spaced, Mulch/Rock laid, Stacks full), then I will be placing the steel runners on the top. Pics will follow in my Woodshed thread.

I agree with Woodmaster. Looks like way more than 2 cord there.. Nice stacks, wish I had a nice area by my tree line to set-up some stacks.

heatwise said:

I would not worry about the high humidity. It will still dry. You do get a lot of rain there though, certainly more than we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.