Backwoods Savage Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Ya know it was quite a spectacle how everyone was playing with Dennis's ash! I personally witnessed Tony pounding his ash with a sledge and a wedge. Then believe it or knot everyone was feeling his ash.. On several occasions I saw a guy drive probes into his ash!!! The final straw was when someone actually sniffed his ash! I knew Dennis has nice ash but my friends was taking things too far!!! Just because a guy has a nice ash gives you no right to violate his rights!

:lol:

Ray

PS I told you I was gonna post this :)

LoL. If the subject was anyone else that wouldn't be funny.
Question: Did Dennis' ash have a milk crate grid on it?

Danno77 said:
LoL. If the subject was anyone else that wouldn't be funny.
Question: Did Dennis' ash have a milk crate grid on it?

It may have had a grid but with all the fondling his ash recieved it probably wore off ...

Ray

At least there wasn't any ash kicking.

BrotherBart said:

Yeah his ash was pretty bruised with all that sledge hammering it recieved! Not a pretty sight I tell you Bart!

Ray

raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah his ash was pretty bruised with all that sledge hammering it recieved! Not a pretty sight I tell you Bart!

Ray

c'mon, no pictures of Dennis' ash?

I hear they were lined up out the door to kiss his ash...

MarkinNC said:
Was the MC higher or lower than kiln dried lumber?

Much of it read 5.00% moisture level and was very hard to replit.. That stuff is furniture grade moisture level! It was difficult to drive the probes into it...

Ray

HollowHill said:
I hear they were lined up out the door to kiss his ash...

Don't you know it! You'll even get the opportunity to do in person shortly!

Ray

I can personally verify that Dennis Ash and Dennis Cherry are the hardest wood I have ever split! I brought my sharpest chisel and lucky sledge, and had to WAIL on that wood just to get the wedge started! Its like it was soaked in a bucket portland cement. Even after the wedge started splitting the wood, it was hard to drive further. Dennis was good enough to let me leave with some of his wood as a souvenir
so I will have a chance to analyze further.

Some of the wood was from from 2002, Nine years old. It was great to finally see up close and personal some of that legendary Dennis wood,there is definitely something mysterious about it. It was a great time finally meeting lots of the Hearth members.

fire_man said:
I can personally verify that Dennis Ash and Dennis Cherry are the hardest wood I have ever split! I brought my sharpest chisel and lucky sledge, and had to WAIL on that wood just to get the wedge started! Its like it was soaked in a bucket portland cement. Even after the wedge started splitting the wood, it was hard to drive further. Dennis was good enough to let me leave with some of his wood as a souvenir
so I will have a chance to analyze further.

Some of the wood was from from 2002, Nine years old. It was great to finally see up close and personal some of that legendary Dennis wood,there is definitely something mysterious about it. It was a great time finally meeting lots of the Hearth members.

It was good to meet you and your son Tony! I told you Dennis's wood is so old it is petrified you needed a stone chisel for that lol :)

Ray

raybonz said:
MarkinNC said:

Much of it read 5.00% moisture level and was very hard to replit.. That stuff is furniture grade moisture level! It was difficult to drive the probes into it...

Ray

Holy cow that is dry. I wonder if that ash will get too old and rot?

Seriously though, those guys have got to be thinking that they are building a stove to burn wood as wet as possible (the average Joe burner). They'll probably add some fail safes now for guys with really dry wood.

Sounds like some real vintage ash.

MarkinNC said:
raybonz said:
MarkinNC said:

Ray

Holy cow that is dry. I wonder if that ash will get too old and rot?

Seriously though, those guys have got to be thinking that they are building a stove to burn wood as wet as possible (the average Joe burner). They'll probably add some fail safes now for guys with really dry wood.

That wood is far from rotten nor do I think it will ever rot.. I see no problem burning wood that dry and think it will burn awesome!

Ray

Ray

Thanks for helping TJ and I carry in the firewood to compare stove firebox sizes. I will eventually post some pictures. That old Dennis wood is no anywhere near rotting. I will figure out a way to weight it and compare to some similar size splits of wood I have. It feels like granite or lead or some alien material. I just cannot figure out what is so strange about this wood, very old, very dry, but still very heavy,

fire_man said:
Ray

Thanks for helping TJ and I carry in the firewood to compare stove firebox sizes. I will eventually post some pictures. That old Dennis wood is no anywhere near rotting. I will figure out a way to weight it and compare to some similar size splits of wood I have. It feels like granite or lead or some alien material. I just cannot figure out what is so strange about this wood, very old, very dry, but still very heavy,

No problem Tony! Yes that is some seriously hard and dry wood! Your son TJ is a nice kid and clearly a chip off the old block! Funny there is no generation gap when it comes to woodburning and stoves!

Ray

Nice ash.

fire_man said:
Ray

I wOOd tell you but Dennis made me take the OATH. :zip:

Zap

zapny said:
fire_man said:
Ray

I wOOd tell you but Dennis made me take the OATH. :zip:

Zap

He told me to "fuhgeddaboutit" ! Word..

Ray

You bet your ash.

Well then it's now wonder Dennis sits on a milk crate to split now - when he did it by hand for all those years it was a real ash pain!

Here is the guy trying to split Dennis' wood.... :lol: Dennis is standing right in front watching......

I have more pics and will slap some more up, but I am sure Dennis will have a great thread going once he gets home and he had his camera around his neck so I am sure he will have better pics of PH, inside and out. ;-)

Attachments

• hearthstock 038.jpg
    hearthstock 038.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.