Backyard YMCA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Most evenings after work (desk job) I look forward to coming home and splitting a wheelbarrow load of wood. I call this my backyard YMCA because I get some physical exercise, aggression release and just plain/simple enjoyment. I recently purchased this Pro Chopping Axe for something lightweight for the little chunks of wood necessary to get a blazing hot fire going quickly to ignite the big stuff. The non-stick coating is nice for running down through a chunk of wood or if stuck, a small quick jerk will pop it right out if it doesn’t jump out on its own. One complaint with this slippery feature, you can’t pick up the log with the axe partially stuck and come down hard on the back of the axe to finish the split because the axe falls out. This gem might go on my next Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness trip. BTW: I’ve also ordered the X27 model designed specifically as a splitting axe. I’m looking forward to trying it to see if I’m equally impressed. This Fiskars idea came about because the axe I’ve used all winter is about ready for a new handle.

Attachments

• Backyard YMCA for Internet.jpg
    Backyard YMCA for Internet.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 340
I see Black Walnut,and either Osage Orange (Hedge) or Mulberry (the yellow stuff) and maybe Honey Locust in your wheelbarrow.

Wow, yes Walnut, Hedge and Honey Locust. Very impressive. I put those in for color contrast. The hedge has been known to burn like a firecracker when I open the stove door for the feeding - gotta be quick ....

Great pic. I'm with you on the therapeutic benefits of splitting a few rounds after work. I call it "cubicle therapy". In the dead of winter it's a weekend only job though. Now that we're getting more sun I'll soon be able to split a bit after work too.

On the subject of axes & canoe trips: I took a 3/4 axe (like an oversized hatchet) on my first longer canoe trip (longer than a weekend that is) when I was around 20 and decided it wasn't worth the extra weight. Since then I've never taken any axe hatchet or saw in late spring to early fall trips, I've always found plenty of smaller stuff to burn (my style is to pack light and single carry all portages, even when solo). Lots of folks in Ontario carry something like a Sven-saw. http://www.svensaw.com/ I've used them and they work great. I find them more versatile & much lighter than an axe or hatchet for cutting up downed poles for firewood (which is all you should be cutting in the BWCA anyway). The one thing they can't do is split away wet outer wood from days of rain to get dry kindling. I've never had a problem finding something that will light and carry some little dryer-lint & parrafin starters just in case.

I have the same packable saw and have taken it on wilderness paddling trips. I'll be going again this year to the BW. However, I always turn a few heads because - I'm in a kayak ..... believe it or not. A rare site up there I know. The portaging thing is figured out but I make two trips to save wear and tear on the ol body. This year we'll enter at Fall Lake possibly going through Basswood and out Moose. Basswood is a large lake canoes have trouble with on windy days. Since I double portage, comfort at camp is great so a 3.5 pound axe (total weight) is no problem. BW is a no trace area and you are correct, no cutting of standing trees. The beauty of my wood stove here at home is having a campfire every night and usually just before breakfast too!

I too like the Fiskars axes.

Similar to you, I have a couple of them (the new x27 splitter and the shorter pro splitting axe). Fiskars makes nice axes. I use them pretty much exclusively for splitting wood.

The shorter, lighter pro splitting axe 7859 is light enough I can swing it one handed if/when I have some easy splitting wood. The x27 is great for the larger rounds, but obviously requires more effort to swing and can be overkill at times.

For small branches, I have a cheap, no-name, folding garden pruning saw that I use (although the chainsaw is more fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.