bad angles on scrounges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Calling all scroungers....

Being that we scroungers dont always get to buck our logs sometimes I get some rounds that have bad angles to them. the stuff I split tonight is probably close to 60* on one side. (which doesnt leave alot of meat when the log is 16 in).

How do you guys handle these when splitting by hand?

if i'm splitting by hand i throw them in the tire. keeps them semi upright. I usually split red oak by hand though

Attachments

• tire.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 502
Remmy122 said:
Calling all scroungers....

Being that we scroungers dont always get to buck our logs sometimes I get some rounds that have bad angles to them. the stuff I split tonight is probably close to 60* on one side. (which doesnt leave alot of meat when the log is 16 in).

How do you guys handle these when splitting by hand?

I usually cut those into cookies, I have probably 7-8 angled tops about one inch thick on one end and 5-6 inches on the other.

Depending, ill shim one side just to get it standing, then whack. Its a long painful process on some. I like the tire concept although id need a smaller tire for some of the rounds.

Reminds me how i need to finish spliting next years wood stash...

You could use Quads technique and wait for snow, the snow will hold it up when you wack it. Another thing I have found is that two wrongs make a right. Put round on top of another uneven round it the opposite direction and you can get it to stand straight enough, I have also used the tire trick but you need to jam it full to keep it from falling over.

I leave all the oddball piece on the side when I unload the scrounge or when splitting. The pieces with a 'y' or a stub of a branch - I cut those flush with the side of the log, which makes it easier to stack when split but not necessarily easier to split. If all of them are messed up, that would equal a bit of work. When splitting by hand, maybe you could cut a notch out of your 'splitting stand' or log to make it work. Either that or use some sort of wedge...

Sit the log so that the high spot is closet to you and hit that sucker. It will split okay. We have to do that sometimes even with a splitter. The reason is when limbing I will cut the limb so that the main trunk of the tree does not have a fork left to it but that leaves that limb with a bad angle on the end. No problem. Just cut the rest of them right and you have only that one to contend with.

sometimes I lean a round against a horizontal log resting on the ground with one end of the round resting on the ground, then stand on the opposite side of the log to split. That way if the badly angled round moves or splits more easily than I expected my maul hits the horizontal log, keeping me safe. You can stand nearly any piece of wood on end if it is leaning against a log.

Well if I can cut it straight and the log is still decently long (at least 12-14") then I do that and cord it in my reg piles.

If not I just throw all the crap wood in the 4x4ft crate I made out of 5 pallets. Use it for campfire wood or to hold down the covers on my wood stacks.

NATE379 said:
Well if I can cut it straight and the log is still decently long (at least 12-14") then I do that.

Similar here, short splits are ok for N/S loading here, so a mix of sizes is not a problem, small bits can go in the greenhouse for quick drying too ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.