Bad Manufacture dates for Enviro/VistaFlame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madge69

Nov 18, 2010
central ma
Hi all,

I just got my VistaFlame VF100FS installed yesterday by the local dealer. I remember reading on here somewhere about manufacturing problems with a variety of brands of stoves for some period of years. The manufacture date on my stove is November 2008.

Does this fall into the suspect time period?

What were some of the production problems associated with that time period?

I noticed that the pedestal seems to be "twisted" in relation to the upper part of the stove, and the ash pan doesn't seem to sit correctly. Also, there seems to be some interference with the door release handle, and the door needs to be manually lifted to get it to seat properly when closing. I'm wondering if perhaps it was damaged in shipment, or if the pedestal can be "un-twisted" to alleviate the interferences?

Please let me know your thoughts on these items.

Thanks...

The pellet stove panic was 2008, I would say from May on.

Thanks. What were some of the problems that people experienced back then?

(I found this statement by SmokeyTheBear, "Stay away from stoves made after about January 2008 and before about July 2009.")

It is more than one brand, the QC all along the chain was rather lax during the big pellet stove buying binge.

If you have a unit that you purchased new and it has a twisted pedestal and any obvious issue I'd be after the dealer rather fast like would have refused delivery and not allowed installation.

There is no reason at all for that. If it happened in shipment the dealer should not have even taken it out to have it installed.

There were issues with common components like blowers (both kinds), auger motors, wiring jobs, bad castings, you name it. Most of these become obvious rather fast, all of them leave you with a stove that normally doesn't run or if it can be run it can't be used to its normal abilities.

Thanks for getting back to me. Upon further inspection, the pedestal is not damaged...it's just slightly askew. It looks like 4 screws loosened will allow the pedestal to be realigned. I don't think most people would notice--it's barely crooked. (I'm really picky). After shutting down the stove, cleaning everything, playing with the controls and thermostat, I think everything is working properly and I'm feeling much better about the situation.

And yes...I will post pictures when I get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.