Bad News for NY Scroungers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

NYS DEC is expanding the firewood quarantine to Orange county. I seriously doubt it will be lifted before my wood supply runs out. I should be ok this year but my primary source is in Orange county and I live just barely across the county line. :mad:

They found 1 Emerald Ash Borer adult in a sticky trap. :roll:

Since both Orange & Ulster counties are quarantined, wonder if you could move wood between them?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/47761.html
http://www.chron.com/news/article/NY-extends-ash-borer-quarantine-to-Orange-County-2138465.php

I read in Long Island Newsday today that they were lifting the quarentine for Long Island --- it seems they believe the steps taken a few years go has eradicated the ALB. I sure hope theyre correct. I have a giant 75 year old sugar maple right in front of my house that I would HATE to see go.

Looks like you have a bunch of Ash in Rockland and Westchester counties. From what the guys in the Midwest have reported, we are in for many years of spectacular scrounging. Looks like the guys in Buffalo/Rochester/Finger Lakes have the most to gain scrounging. With the density of Ash there, it is probably going to look like it was stripped when it is all said and done.

Attachments

• ashdistribution.jpg
    ashdistribution.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 582
Unless you're right on the county line, I can't see scrounging between counties as being cost effective anyway, fuel cost to move that wood is too high. Might as well get a log load delivered.

I'm dreading the EAB hitting my area as I've got alot of ash on my property. I've got one really bautiful ash tree in my front yard thats growing like a weed...its got a very symmetrical shape to it and its among the nicest trees in my front yard. It'll be a shame if the EAB gets at it and I have to take it down. On the other hand, its got to a good 18-20" caliper at 4 feet up, so there's a good chunk of firewood there. Hopefully I'll get a few more years growth out of it.

mayhem said:
Unless you're right on the county line, I can't see scrounging between counties as being cost effective anyway, fuel cost to move that wood is too high. Might as well get a log load delivered.

I'm dreading the EAB hitting my area as I've got alot of ash on my property. I've got one really bautiful ash tree in my front yard thats growing like a weed...its got a very symmetrical shape to it and its among the nicest trees in my front yard. It'll be a shame if the EAB gets at it and I have to take it down. On the other hand, its got to a good 18-20" caliper at 4 feet up, so there's a good chunk of firewood there. Hopefully I'll get a few more years growth out of it.

Mayhem,

I am right on the line. But my primary source is also my secondary job and I get paid to drop trees (not everyday but still...), cut 'em up and even split them. (I know, right! :coolgrin: ) So since I'm there anyways, I might as well haul some splits home.

I have helped people (and myself) by taking down trees in there yard that are dead. many in the last couple of years have been ash trees. how do i know by looking at the tree if it died due to an insect or a fungus or something unrelated?

sorry if i hijacked this thread with a different question.

SolarAndWood said:
With the density of Ash there, it is probably going to look like it was stripped when it is all said and done.

So that's why ash is so hard to come by around here. You guys are hoarding it all. :roll:

That's OK, we are holding onto plenty of hickory, beech, black birch, black locust, red and white oak, and hard maple. I think we have the better end of it, even if the scrounging won't be as easy. ;-)

Battenkiller said:
You guys are hoarding it all. :roll:

lol if you weren't over 50 miles away I'd bring you a load. We have a lot of ash at camp. Not sure why given that map. Must be something about the lakes.

f3cbboy said:
I have helped people (and myself) by taking down trees in there yard that are dead. many in the last couple of years have been ash trees. how do i know by looking at the tree if it died due to an insect or a fungus or something unrelated?

When the ash borer enters the tree they will leave a hole in the bark and it will be shaped somewhat like a D. You will usually find more than one hole in each tree too. We find a lot of the holes about 3' up from ground level but that certainly is not all of them; just lots.

It ain't pretty to see all those beautiful trees die off.

f3cbboy said:

Emerald Ash Borer leaves distinctive holes in the bark - D shaped, tracks under the bark where the larvae ate their way through, and it makes the tree tend to die in a charactieristic way. This site has some pictures, and here are lots more sites like this out there:

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/emeraldashborer/

thanks for the replies and the link - i am gonna have to notice from now on, look for that d hole. it seems every tree i cut up has those S marks under the bark where something has been chewing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.