Baffle board that too small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swahmann

Jan 22, 2011
Outside Seattle
I've owned the Northstar fireplace by Heat n Glo for 3 years, and only really burn on the weekends in the winter. Last year I noticed a crack in the baffle board. After reading a post on this site I decided to continue on and burn. I never had any problems. I eventually got around to ordering a new baffle SRV480-0510 and when I removed the old one I realized the new one isn't the correct size, the width is about 3 inches less!! It's also grey in color rather than the white one I took out.

My question is, would it be unwise to use the fireplace with the new smaller baffle? Should I just revert to the old cracked baffle? Why would the new baffle not be as wide?

Thanks for any help!

I'd use the cracked one until you get the correct replacement. A baffle board that's too small like that won't keep heat or smoke in the fire box for secondary combustion. The baffle may have been mis packaged, there could be one number off in the part number....any number of human errors result in wrong parts getting shipped. The color wouldn't concern me as they may be sourcing the baffle material from a different vendor. You definately want the right size part though. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.