baffled on cleaning a c450 jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyshackelford

Apr 21, 2009
pendleton, ny
hello group! i am getting ready to clean my jotul c450 and i was wondering if i should even try to remove the baffle assembly before cleaning the chimney and the unit. this will be my first attempt at cleaning a chimney. my main objective will be to not fall off the roof. i was thinking it may be easier to run the 6" poly brush up and down the chimney from the top, where i have good access, until its clean and let the crud fall on top of the baffle assembly in the jotul and then fish it out with a noodle brush/and or vacuum. would this pass muster with you experts out there? thanks, rusty.

It would be a half-arse job if you did not remove the baffle. Far below this distinguished community's standards.

I've done the baffle exercise twice this last winter. Takes about a minute to lower it, and about 2 minutes (with a good spotter to help you) to put it back in place.
And yes, it is heavy, but manageable.

I found out that it helps if you placed 2 thin logs in N-S orientation inside the stove (far left and far right), to help support the lowered baffle. Makes picking it back up easier.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.