Baklava

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, there's a small local restaurant (we're in a very small community....think one blinker) that serves Baklava.
I love Baklava. Therefore, being the DIYer that I am, decided to look for recipes. Found way too many, bought all the stuff and plan to make some. Recipe is on the back of the phyllo dough box....go figure.
Does anyone have a baklava recipe that they really like?
Pics to ensue sometime soon, if anyone's interested. Let's see a show of hands.

PapaDave said:
So, there's a small local restaurant (we're in a very small community....think one blinker) that serves Baklava.
I love Baklava. Therefore, being the DIYer that I am, decided to look for recipes. Found way too many, bought all the stuff and plan to make some. Recipe is on the back of the phyllo dough box....go figure.
Does anyone have a baklava recipe that they really like?
Pics to ensue sometime soon, if anyone's interested. Let's see a show of hands.

It's good stuff, a very nice Armenian lady makes it for me around christmas ( it rocks) I'll see what I can do for a recipe.

Swampy

Thank you,I just gained 2 pounds reading this. ;-)

I don't make mine Papa, I have a patient that makes it and brings it in for me every time he comes in for an office visit....
he always says in his accent.....
"Here you are Me shell....for you sweet e".... :)

Phylo dough can be tricky to work with. You need to keep a damp rag over it to keep it moist.

I don't even know what it is. Sounds like something that would spew out of a volcano.

Phyllo dough? Is that for pedophyles?

If it includes dough and makes you gain weight it is probably pretty good. Post up the pics and recipe, maybe I can introduce this alien food to the NW.

I wonder if Papa is attempting to make it right now....betcha he is speaking in some foreign tongues...... :lol:

Highbeam said:
...If it includes dough and makes you gain weight it is probably pretty good. Post up the pics and recipe, maybe I can introduce this alien food to the NW.

Back in about 1990 or so, I was stationed at Supervisor of Shipbuilding, San Diego. While I was in the position of Repair Officer, we had a sizable project to contract out all the work to refit 3 old guided missle destroyers (DDG's) that we were decommissioning and selling to Greece. At some point in that project, the Greek Navy crews showed up to began to learn the ships and get ready to assume ownership. I got to know the Greek Captains-to-be of these ships pretty well. In one of our regular progress meetings when we were approaching the end of the project, and they were getting very close to steaming away in their new (used) ships, the Greeks brought snacks/refreshments for all the participants. The highlight of the menu was Baklava. These folks had lived in San Diego for months, and had found local authentic ethnic Greek sources for their favorite foods. This stuff was authentic, delicious, and totally fattening...I absolutely loved it. Don't believe I'd had any since. Rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava

Well, foreign tongues aside, it is done.
Despite all the dire warnings (youtube vids) about the dough, not so much. Well, except for having to use about a bazillion layers.
Ok, that's a mild exaggeration.....1/2 bazillion.
Highbeam, dessert-o-phylls. :coolsmile:
Taste test tells me just a wee bit too much lemon juice and I shoulda' used more dough,....but man oh man, this stuff is GOOOOOOOD!
Even Bev likes it, and she's got a cold.

Attachments

• P1000543resize.jpg
    P1000543resize.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: pen
Looks great Papa....good for you that you accomplished that......
High five my man! ;-)

PapaDave said:
Next batch will be better, but we have to eat this one first. ;-P

Looks great PapaDave, looks like that recipe book is in storage so if you can give me the weekend I'll see if I can find it.

zap

Grew up with my mother making Baklava. I used to just give it away & still do, I got so sick of it. Still have no appetite for it, too rich. Congrats looks good. A lot there !!

PapaDave...

Your baklava looks wonderful. job well done. I grew up in the "Lil Athens" of Queens NY..some shops took single filo sheets and made a walnut nut roll and coiled them..then they stuffed the center with pistachios after baking..think that is more Syrian/Lebanese..Since you like to cook, and if you like Middle Eastern cuisine, check out Middle Eastern Cooking by Rose Dosti..Greek, Arabic, Iranian, No.African, Israeli , Near Eastern etc...deserts and entrees will make you swoon....

My DH was Greek and anything I made from that book he adored..I bought it in 1987 for 9.99..Just went on Amazon and almost fell down at the price now! But it is one fantastic cook book for that region...I consider it the jewel of my cook book collection and won't loan it out!!-soft cover lots of photos...Happy Cooking....cover is yellow with shrimp kabob and chicken

pj, I think I better pass on the cookbook. With all the recipes I can find online, plus all the cookbooks we have already, I think I'm set.:cool:
I appreciate the suggestion though.
I'll make a smaller batch next time, and share.

Tackling Baklava again!! Good man..not easy..labor intense..worth the effort!..maybe someday you will try Galaktoboureko.. Greek filo pastry stuffed with custard yummmm...bye now...

My wife makes a pretty mean baklava. She uses way less oil on the layers for a lighter version that still tastes great. Love galaktoboureko too, but rarely find it done right just right. It is a custard pie, but the citrus topping is what makes it taste special. I may have to go back to Greece to get a good one.

Hey BG-Just go to a good greek neighborhood and you will probably find one..Growing up in one was great..When most kids ate hotdogs from push carts I was eating souvlaki..not the gyro stuff either..real bbq'd shish-kebabs...God I miss that smell...outside cafe's before it was vogue...

Papa-there is another desert thats easy to make using chopped almonds...you fold a filo sheet to overlapped so you can create a triangle..stuff it with the almond paste and chopped almonds..bake and sprinkle powdered sugar...you would make these just like little personal spinach pies...not in my cookbook..but a hand written one from our Greek church...don't know where I put that thing..used to help DH's yiayia(grandmother) hand toss and pull homemade filo over a kitchen table..pheeeew now that was work!

Sorry I don't remember the name of the almond pastry..phonetically thinks is tri-ga-na..but nothing I see on the net...this just might be a village recipe..Just saw your last post..do you clarify the butter?

Off to you-know-where again. Been on there 1/2 the day looking at this stuff, then found more on gardening and just kept going.I did manage to move some firewood.:)
I haven't clarified the butter. Should I, and if so, why?

Papa
Some recipes actually call for it.....mine does..separates the milk solids and water from the butterfat..clarified has a higher smoke point so the product will not burn as much..In Indian culture it is called ghee..will not go rancid as quickly either..more expensive to do..use unsalted..you probably loose about 25% in the reduction..

This may be over the top for some..but there is a difference..with the price of butter I fully respect why ppl don't!! You can cook with the clarified stuff at a higher temperature too...to be honest there are times when I do and when I don't...Still drooling over your photo's..with DH's passing last year, too much trouble just for me..That's how I got into making"nut rolls"..or small triangles of spinach pie...Happy Cooking...

PS..use unsalted only when clarifying..if you don't , and with a reduction it will be too salty!

Thanks for the info.....same as I found after a search. Doh!
Hadn't thought of the result being too salty with salted butter. The salted is all we buy......hmmm.
There's a vid on youtube showing a woman making baklava the "easy" way by doing the roll things.
Next batch will be smaller. The first batch never did spoil, just got a little dry, but I ended up tossing a bit of it. I just couldn't eat it the whole 15x11 dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.