banging boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejewell

Oct 22, 2010
devon
hello people, i fitted a wood burner with a back boiler last year,when the fire gets going well the boiler starts to make a banging noise.this noise is the water boiling and flowing out the top pipe towards the neutralizer(it sounds allfull.the pump is running and the radiator's are hot but my question is,is this loud banging noise ok for the boiler or is there a chance this might split the boiler.it lasts for approx 10 mins until the fire dies down abit. any help greatfully received steve

I'm not sure what this boiler is exactly, is it cast iron, steel, water tube?

Is there any way to increase the flow through the boiler and/or the water pressure to keep it from reaching the boiling point? It seems the boiler is working too well, and needs some more load on it.

its a cast iron wood burner and the pump is on its quickest speed.the pump is on the return side of the heating loop. maybe need bigger pump??? thanks steve

I still don't know what a "back boiler" is. Is this like a Burnham sectional wood fired boiler? or is it something that was added onto the back of a cast iron wood stove? Also what is a neutralizer?

Somebody here can certainly get you pointed in the right direction, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't understand what equipment you have. A model name and number would be great, or a picture, or just an explanation. Also what size, or model, pump, and what kind of heating loop?

I still think that there's not enough flow, but that could be air, or too much resistance, and not the fault of the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.