Bar/chain cover (pic of 3 types)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
What do you guys use for bar & chain covers?
I have a "saw box" I got a long time ago when I bought my first Husqvarna.
I made a cardboard cover for that saw & put the new one in the box.
I split an old piece of garden hose for the old 14".
Anything to protect the chain & grand kids when the come in the shop.
Was gonna buy one of those plastic slip on covers but I seem to always forget.

Attachments

• 100_6745.jpg
    100_6745.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 451
The wee Echo & Poulan Super 380 have cases,so no covers needed for them.The Poulan 475 & Husky 288XPW are way too big to fit in a case so I have covers for them.
The 28" one was bought & the 39" one homemade from 1/4" tempered masonite & 3/8" thick clear pine.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 415
  • Husky 288XP 101611.jpg
    Husky 288XP 101611.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 391
Good idea, looks easy to make.
On my "to do" list.

When I bought my saw they gave me a case/cover to go with it. Don't know if it's really needed? My old saw I never had a cover for.

I see bar covers all the time and had one on my old Craftsman that coupled with the case. For the life of me though, I'm not sure why we have them.

Is it to just prevent little nicks and cuts if you touch the chain or to protect the chain while the saw is bouncing around the back of your truck?

I like to have them on my saws. For transport and chain protection as you mentioned. Also, if one were to trip and fall on a saw, they'd be glad they had a bar guard on their saw.

The garden hose idea is brilliant. I'm all over that.

Ash_403 said:
I like to have them on my saws. For transport and chain protection as you mentioned. Also, if one were to trip and fall on a saw, they'd be glad they had a bar guard on their saw.

The only time I trip is when the saw is running! :lol:

Gary

Ash_403 said:
Hate when i do this

bogydave said:
Ash_403 said:

I agree.
Also it prevents a tooth or 2 from getting nicked or dulled when moving/banging them around, laying on rocks or a metal truck bed.

Stegman: Thanks
I thought the hose idea was a little better than the cardboard & electrical tape. :)
The cardboard one was made in a hurry for transporting in a boat just before we went camping. As many temporary fixes, some hang around a while.

mayhem said:
I see bar covers all the time and had one on my old Craftsman that coupled with the case. For the life of me though, I'm not sure why we have them.

Is it to just prevent little nicks and cuts if you touch the chain or to protect the chain while the saw is bouncing around the back of your truck?

Both!

TreePointer said:
I've seen folks use fire hose for a long bar scabbards.
We carry MS440's on all of our engines. We use 4" hose as the cover for the bar/chain. It works great and is easily replaced if lost. I use some the same. I'd bet your local dept. has some hose laying around that didn't pass hose testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.