Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
When I bought the husky 346xp I picked up a gal of husky bar oil. Its thin as water. Whats with that? Most bar oil I have used is thick and sticky. This was premium Husky brand. I was kind of surprised when I first poured it. It seems to work fine.

Doug

Bar oil usually comes in different weights for different temperatures. Maybe you bought Winter weight. I never use Winter weight bar oil, choosing to thin out the heavy Summer weight stuff instead. The way I look at it, the saw is warm so if you keep the oil warm too, you don't need the thin Winter weight stuff.

LOL... we used to get some real funny looks in the elevator when we took our saws up to our room rather than leave them out in the truck in -40. Maybe not always a good idea though... one guy couldn't resist the temptation to make two rooms into one after a whole lot of booze was consumed.

LLigetfa said:
LOL... we used to get some real funny looks in the elevator when we took our saws up to our room rather than leave them out in the truck in -40. Maybe not always a good idea though... one guy couldn't resist the temptation to make two rooms into one after a whole lot of booze was consumed.

Thats ok they will get over it .

I use motor oil from a 5 gallon tub - the same stuff my Bobcat uses for hydraulics. Pretty convenient. Probably the smartest thing Bobcat has done.

Hunderliggur said:
I use motor oil from a 5 gallon tub - the same stuff my Bobcat uses for hydraulics. Pretty convenient. Probably the smartest thing Bobcat has done.
I was taught that hydraulic oil doesn't attack rubber the same way that motor oil does and one should be careful using motor oil in other applications. Got that lesson after I ruined the hydraulics on our old Case farm tractor when I was a kid.

LLigetfa said:
Hunderliggur said:
I was taught that hydraulic oil doesn't attack rubber the same way that motor oil does and one should be careful using motor oil in other applications. Got that lesson after I ruined the hydraulics on our old Case farm tractor when I was a kid.
My M calls for regular motor oil in the Lift-All.

For some reason Babcat specified motor oil, not Bobcat part number 123456. Probably pushed by some maintenance guy and marketing/parts didn't catch it! In ay case, RTFM of any tools you have.

LLigetfa said:
Bar oil usually comes in different weights for different temperatures. Maybe you bought Winter weight. I never use Winter weight bar oil, choosing to thin out the heavy Summer weight stuff instead. The way I look at it, the saw is warm so if you keep the oil warm too, you don't need the thin Winter weight stuff.

This was my thinking as well . . . you will find the Summer Oil to be much thicker than the Winter Oil . . . if this is the case.

Ok whats the cheapest route going to be milling with a 880 and with the aux oil-er I will have 1/2 gallon of oil quart in the saw and a quart in the aux oiler?

i'd go to the local farm store and buy a big 5gal bucket of some oil in the appropriate weight (don't know what that would be, though maybe 30 or 40 weight?)

Danno77 said:
i'd go to the local farm store and buy a big 5gal bucket of some oil in the appropriate weight (don't know what that would be, though maybe 30 or 40 weight?)

yep its 30 weight need to find it on sale..

I save the oil out of the cummins (3 GALS) when i change it
and use that in my saws,
its not like it is in the saw long enough to hurt anything
wets the bar and then flies off
havent had any problems......yet

ironpony said:
I save the oil out of the cummins (3 GALS) when i change it
and use that in my saws,
its not like it is in the saw long enough to hurt anything
wets the bar and then flies off
havent had any problems......yet

yep lee told me about that but I dont use much oil but saving every bit I get and filter it through blue jeans.

You definately got the winter blend of bar oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.