Bargin Saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Chinese or similar/off shore again. 25:1 mixture for the pot metal cylinder and piston. 10w-30w recommended bar oil.
Our wonderful Countries that even allow this (in the end) costly Crap in. Just think of the Environmental damage the places get away to manufacture this and the people that slave there. Suit and Tie entrepreneur's that bring this stuff in should be shot.

Yeah - I figured these were disposable.

How about a factory reconditioned 90 day warranty on a Husky 455? Should one be fearful of a remanufactured HUSKY? Theres an absolute ton of them forsale on ebay. Whats the deal with that? Why so many of this particular saw ? Husky 445 & 455?

Even a great saw takes lots of maintenance....Sure there would be some pretty cool tricks to keeping that thing producing wood! lol

I would not touch a chinese saw.

Remember that these things are are built to be sold under a made up name at a price point. They have to function only long enough to not be returned.

By combining parts and and reducing the costs of these parts in ways others wouldn't think of means that components break that shouldn't and scrap out the whole device.

I just tossed a "Speedway" compressor that I inherited because $1 worth of brass parts were replaced by one die cast part made as light as possible. Commpressor fell over, part snapped and the whole unit wasn't fixable.

Husq,Stihl , Dolmar etc have to maintain a brand name and build a business. One of the reasons Stihl stays out of the big boxes.

basswidow said:

How about a factory reconditioned 90 day warranty on a Husky 455? Should one be fearful of a remanufactured HUSKY? Theres an absolute ton of them forsale on ebay. Whats the deal with that? Why so many of this particular saw ? Husky 445 & 455?

I would not be too afraid of a "remanufactured" 455, if the price point was cheap enough. I think you can find new ones for as low as $319 from time to time at the big boxes; I sold what I knew to be a good, 2 year old one for $200 a while back, with 3 chains. I would think a remanufactured unit would be worth $250 or so.

I would speculate that maybe some of the remanufactured units are returns to the big box stores being put out by employees or other distribution channels that they use to dispose of the returns. This saw might be returned more often than others since Husky seems to ship them with 20" bars and they do not really have the power, in stock form, to cut well in hard wood with a 20" bar. I think if you dropped one down to an 18" or 16" bar, it would not be a bad saw, just a little heavy (13.2 lbs) for the amount of power that it makes.

My experience was that it is a very reliable, easy to start saw, based upon a sample size of one.

Beowulf said:
basswidow said:

I would not be too afraid of a "remanufactured" 455, if the price point was cheap enough. I think you can find new ones for as low as $319 from time to time at the big boxes; I sold what I knew to be a good, 2 year old one for $200 a while back, with 3 chains. I would think a remanufactured unit would be worth $250 or so.

I would speculate that maybe some of the remanufactured units are returns to the big box stores being put out by employees or other distribution channels that they use to dispose of the returns. This saw might be returned more often than others since Husky seems to ship them with 20" bars and they do not really have the power, in stock form, to cut well in hard wood with a 20" bar. I think if you dropped one down to an 18" or 16" bar, it would not be a bad saw, just a little heavy (13.2 lbs) for the amount of power that it makes.

My experience was that it is a very reliable, easy to start saw, based upon a sample size of one.

I bought a refurb 455 on ebay when I needed a saw quick. So far no problems.
I'd say +1 to all of this. Plus the oiler is a tad weak for 20" bar. Good budget saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.