Barn doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I have an 18x18 "barn" on my property. You country folk would probably call it a shed, but on 1/4 of an acre it all I can have. It serves as my shop and tool storage. The biggest problem has been that it has only one 30" door. Since I bough the tractor this spring, I decided that my barn needs some barn doors so I can keep the tractor close to the driveway for snow removal, and out of the weather.
Before
DSC06334.jpg

I started the project by installing a temporary column and removing one of the studs.
DSC06338.jpg

I added a double 2x6 header and jack studs.
DSC06339.jpg

Now that I had the opening framed out, I built the two barn doors.
DSC06340.jpg

And hung them.
DSC06341.jpg

Now that I had doors the wall demo could start.
DSC06342.jpg

Sunshine!
DSC06343.jpg

DSC06344.jpg

A doorway!
1213101240.jpg

Next came the ramp to the driveway.
DSC06345.jpg

Done with ramp.
DSC06347.jpg

Now the old Cub Cadet is out of the weather and at the end of the driveway.
DSC06350.jpg

I worked three days on it last week. It sure is nice to have the tractor in a lighted building with all the tools there too. I'll get the snow thrower and plow in there soon and I'll be ready for whatever mother natures sends my way.

Flatbedford, nice looking job and I really like the way you did the doors.

zap

Nice !!!

Tell Bonnie I have a few projects, can I lease you? ;-P

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Nice !!!

That's funny. She told me that a friend of her's wanted me to came live at her house for a week. Her husband is a city kid. Doesn't do anything around the house. He does cook though. She might trade me for a horse.

Not for that reason!

Flatbedford said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Nice !!!

That's funny. She told me that a friend of her's wanted me to came live at her house for a week. Her husband is a city kid. Doesn't do anything around the house. He does cook though. She might trade me for a horse.

Not for that reason!

:lol:

Steve, that was a lot of work but you'll really appreciate it when the snow gets flying big time. Even when it is raining you'll love it.

It was three days of hard work in the cold, but very much worth it. It doesn't look like we will be moving to the farm in the country any time soon, so I am trying to bring the farm to me piece by piece. :) I can dream right!

Thanks for the compliments.
I had to leave the siding until I had the doors done because sometimes life gets in the way of projects and I didn't want to end up with a hole in the barn for a couple weeks in the winter, or any time for that matter. I did the project in my head so many times that it was pretty easy when I actually took out the tools.

barn doors opening in don't get in the way ?

I have a overhead door that I have to make sure the entry door is closed or the OH door hits it.
No big deal, just a minor PITA.

They have to swing in because the floor of the barn is lower than the driveway. They would hit the ramp if they swung out. A sliding door would have been best, but no matter where I looked, the hardware was very pricey. The doors are only about 29" so they don't take up that much room inside. I also won't have to worry about snow blocking them when they swing in. Working on this building has been one compromise after another.

Flatbedford said:
Thanks for the compliments.
I had to leave the siding until I had the doors done because sometimes life gets in the way of projects and I didn't want to end up with a hole in the barn for a couple weeks in the winter, or any time for that matter. I did the project in my head so many times that it was pretty easy when I actually took out the tools.

You'd have to do it that way in my neighborhood too but only because nosey neighbors would have the tax ass-sessor,zoning,code,DEC,the mayor,channel 4 news, PETA,LCB,NYPD, and Don King the fight promoter there before you pounded the first nail.

NICE job.

When we bought the house 7 years ago, the inspector recommended the barn be demolished. I have done extensive repairs on it over the years. I am blessed with good neighbors all around. There are a few decks, pools, sheds and things that no inspector, ass-sessor etc. have ever seen in the neighborhood. I guess we all know about stones and glass houses.

Are those door made out of plywood? What is going to keep them from warping? You could add some supporting wood to the back of the doors or I have seen those cable/tensioners for this purpose...

1x4 frames assembled with waterproof glue and biscuits screwed and glued to 1/2" plywood. I used three hinges per side for additional support. If warping becomes an issue, I can add framing inside.

I was going to bring up the warpage issue, but decided not to. Now that someone else brought it up, you will definetly get significant warpage if you don't stabalize the perimeter with at least 2x3' on the flat.

We'll see how it goes. I will make improvements as needed.

Or keep an eye out for used louvered doors .
A couple broken louvers is not a problem.

I made some shed doors by screw T111 to old louvered closet doors. A bit heavy - just needed good hinges and long screws.

I say if the barn doors warp a bit, so be it.
It will just add character to the barn.
Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.