Basement Ceiling Insulation??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryger

Feb 25, 2011
CT
Ever since I bought my pellet stove I have been making a great effort to make the house more energy efficient. It is a 60 year Cape. New windows were installed 3 years ago prior to the purchase of the stove. Last winter when my stove was installed I was shocked when my installer told me that there was no insulation in the exterior walls. I immediately went to Home Depot and rented the equipment to blow insulation in all my exterior wall cavities. (Pretty simple job - by the way).

My question is now that I plan on running my stove 24/7 my oil fired boiler does not run that much anymore (just for a 2nd floor zone which handles a small dormer). The boiler used to keep my unheated basement somewhat warm (at least above freezing) and my concern besides pipes freezing are that the floors on the first floor are very cold now. I wanted to insulated the ceiling in the basement but have read many reports that it is not very cost effective to do that. It is more important to insulate the rim joists (all along the sill plates) which I just finished doing today.

Also, I no longer use my boiler for Domestic Hot Water. (you can tell I am trying to eliminate that oil bill). I bought and installed a tankless on-demand water heater which is fantastic. With this new setup my boiler never really runs, hence the concern for the cold floors.

Any thoughts about insulating the basement ceiling. I know it may not be cost effective but will it help keep the floors above warmer.

Note: My pellet stove is not located in the basement. First floor living room is its location.

Hope this post is appropriate for this forum.

Attachments

• RimJoistInsulation.jpg
    RimJoistInsulation.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 321
  • AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 307
[quote author="gerryger" date="1319340156"]Also, I no longer use my boiler for Domestic Hot Water. (you can tell I am trying to eliminate that oil bill). I bought and installed a tankless on-demand water heater which is fantastic. With this new setup my boiler never really runs, hence the concern for the cold floors.quote]

How do you like the tankless water heater, how many people in your house and how many hot water applications can you run at once? I assume it is electric. Sorry about all the questions.

Ohio P43 said:
How do you like the tankless water heater, how many people in your house and how many hot water applications can you run at once? I assume it is electric. Sorry about all the questions.

I purchased the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus. I would have bought the Tempra 29 Plus but that required (3) 220 Volt lines. The 24 only required 2. The unit can be found here: http://www.buyplumbing.net/TEMPRA24...a-24-Plus-Tankless-Electric-Water-Heater.html

The 24 Model suited my needs since I only have (1) bathroom. It could handle multiple applications without a problem. Ex:Dishwasher/Shower/Washing Machine running at the same time never caused a problem. The temp of the water never varies when taking a shower. Best investment I ever made. Saved money by doing the electrical myself which requires (2) 60 amp breakers and 6 gauge wiring (which is very expensive). You need to have 220 service coming into your electrical panel. 120 will not suffice. A friend did the plumbing for me which was very simple. I highly recommend this new concept. It has paid for itself already.....No oil delivery during the summer plus a $300 tax break too. My electric bill did increase each month but only by an average of $15.

If you don't need it, get rid of your oil tank before it starts to leak. I know some oil spill clean up guys and some tanks are leaking after 8 years. Around here, you have to replace them with a fiberglass tank.
I am thinking of going with an air to air heat pump hot water heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.