Basement installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Upstate NY
I am installing an Englander 25-PDVC pellet stove in my basement. The basement is mostly below grade, with perhaps what looks like 2 blocks above grade. The house is 25 years old with 2 cell cinder blocks, sill plate, 2x10 joists 16" on center. I don't know if I have rebar run through the blocks. I hope to bring the vent out on the corner of my house, perhaps the first or second joist bay. Ideally I'd like to vent on the rim joist (band joist?) side of the house, but could around the corner (on the end joist side if that’s what you call it?) if it makes life easier.

The problem is the 3" pellet stove pipe needs one inch clearance from combustibles. If I use Dura-vent pipe and their wall thimble (into which the 3" pipe goes) I need to cut a 7 1/2" hole. That sounds like too much to cut out of a rim joist. My other option is boring a 4” hole through the cinder block foundation, but cutting into the last two courses of blocks makes me nervous, not to mention a lot more work than cutting through a joist.

I know this can be done as many folks have pellets stove installs in their basements. I’m pretty handy and would like to do this myself. Can you provide some general guidance on the easiest way to proceed?

Anyone who has done this I am grateful for any help.

Just double up that 2x10 area with another 2x10 and cut your hole through both. If you want you can also box out that joist between the first and second bay. Use another 2x10 to span between the first and third joists, cut back the middle joist and tie into the new header 2x10. Now you can double up the 2x10 that you are cutting the hole through with about a 30 inch 2x10. Make sense? It's probably overkill. Even if you cut that section of 2x10 out it can't go anywhere, it's tied to the subfloor above and the sill plate below, as well as the joists keeping it from rolling over.
Mike -

Thanks Mike. That's consistent with an answer I received from a foundation expert at allexperts.com

If you can cut the 7-1/2" hole just above the sill plate, centered between the floor joist end plate, (you will have 14-1/2" area to work between the joists), then you should be fine.
You could also cut the 4" hole through the cinder block by using a carbide core cutting bit, and drilling very carefully. Either method should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.