basement insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tc21

Nov 1, 2007
NH
I have a finished basement with just about all the walls insulated except two rooms that we use for storage.
I finished the basement off several years ago and just never got around to insulating the two storage room areas.
I was just going to put up Tuff-R foam board ( I bought 20 sheets) and not sheet rock over it because they are just storage rooms. Butt one of them is the boiler room and the wood stove is in there as well. If I put the foam boards around the flue pipes
and give the pipes some room will I be ok? They say they are combustible. Do I still need to rock over this
wall with dura rock?

Not sure what your codes are in your area, but I know in Canada you must sheetrock over combustibles. You can leave fiberglass with poly sitting out in the open, but foam must be covered.
Insurance wise you might want to consider it.
You don't have to sand the drywall, just tape it. Easy peasy.

I just called Dow to ask about having Tuff-R in close proximity to a wood stove. I am doing a corner install of a Jotul F400 Castine, and with a rear heat shield, I can place the stove 13" inches from unprotected surfaces. The walls behind the stove are sheetrock with 1/2" Tuff-R directly beneath. I asked the Dow rep about this use, and she said that Tuff-R can withstand temperatures up to 190 F. She said that Dow Thermax insulation board can handle up to 250 F.

I am doing other renovations nearby and can expand my project (again...) and go ahead and replace the Tuff-R with Thermax in the two walls behind the stove -- but do I really need to do this?

Will the walls behind the stove ever approach the 190 degree max temp for Tuff-R?

Thanks for any giudance on this.

- JoeD

you have to wonder. The flue pipe gets up past 400 degrees. It did show in an illistration on the R-tuff brochure of a person putting the sheathing around a flue pipe with 3 to 4 inches of space and then foaming the space around the flue. It then says to add sheet rock or 3/4 board. I was thinking of removing the sheathing and just skipping that wall ( it's concrete). It hasn't been insulated in the past and I have always been able to heat the house just fine. Better than burning the house down.

I would use Roxul (spun mineral insulation), it doesn't burn. Those temps you mentioned are way way too low near a stove pipe imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.