Basic installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cold front

Mar 3, 2009
western,NY
Friend of mine wants to replace his pellet stove. The new pellet stoves exhaust is about 10" higher then the old one. Can he still connect the new one and angle it down to meet the old pipe connection? There is still about 3 feet vertical pipe rise outside. Also the T is on the outside.

If he does that he is asking for trouble (and his install is not in conformance with the manufacturers installation instructions) a vent is supposed to always be rising hence the need for at least a 1/4" per foot rise in "horizontal" runs.

Thanks, I didn't think it would work.

If he does the 3 ft rise inside the house, then he can buy one adjustable length piece and never worry about what stove he gets next.

The top hole will always be the same, just raise or lower the adjustable piece, to the new stove.

But he still has to punch another hole in the wall

cold front said:
But he still has to punch another hole in the wall

Yes... But if he does the rise inside. He will never need to punch another hole after that. No matter how many stoves he goes through.

I made the mistake of shooting straight outside when I installed my Quadrafire. That was before I found this place. My Fahrenheit and my 25-PDV have 5 ft of vert inside. Both installed after finding Hearth.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.