Basswood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The bark looks like Elm, I thought the leaves were Basswood but I don't think so, any thoughts? I also found one small Cherry down which I'll grab before winter.

The first two pics are the cherry, the rest is what at first I thought was elm.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5891.JPG
    100_5891.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_5892.JPG
    100_5892.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_5894.JPG
    100_5894.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_5895.JPG
    100_5895.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_5896.JPG
    100_5896.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_5897.JPG
    100_5897.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_5898.JPG
    100_5898.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_5899.JPG
    100_5899.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_5901.JPG
    100_5901.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_5902.JPG
    100_5902.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: smokinj
hey zap -

hard to tell from the photo but if those are compound leaves, i'm guessing butternut.

does that grow in your bioregion ??

hey zap -

hard to tell from the photo but if those are compound leaves, i'm guessing butternut.

does that grow in your bioregion ??
I'm not sure onetracker, guess I'll ask some oldtimers this week. I buck up downed bigtooth aspen for the shoulder season so butternut is close in btu's.

The one with the bottom rotting (pic 5902) is just off a secondary trail so I might grab that, the other two can be left alone.

zap

That looks like Butternut. I can see the opposite, compound leaves in the first picture, and the leaves don't look like a hickory (well, maybe a little like pecan, but you won't find pecan in your area). That doesn't leave too many choices among large trees - it obviously isn't a locust and the bark looks just like what I'd expect for Butternut. Butternut grows over most of NY state.

Butternut it is, definately not basswood leaves.

I'm with the others Zappy. Definitely not basswood. Hows the firepit coming?

Based on the leafs in Pic 5894 I would say it's definitely not basswood -- basswood has large, heart-shaped leafs. Pretty distinctive . . . and if you did as I did and cut one down in the winter when there are no leafs you'll know right away that the "ash" you thought you were cutting is not an ash when you go to pick up the large round and it feels surprisingly light.

Pretty distinctive . . . and if you did as I did and cut one down in the winter when there are no leafs you'll know right away that the "ash" you thought you were cutting is not an ash when you go to pick up the large round and it feels surprisingly light.

But it will still tire you out, as you'll be refilling every 6 1/2 minutes ! ! !!!

But it will still tire you out, as you'll be refilling every 6 1/2 minutes ! ! !!!

I split most of that basswood up as kindling . . . and camp fire wood. Once I figured out (within 5 minutes of lifting the fresh cut rounds into my trailer) that I had basswood I knew that this would not be going in my regular firewood pile.

That & butternut are especially prized.Honduras Mahogany,Black Walnut & Black Cherry to a lesser degree.

If I take the butternut down I'll use it for pit wood. First I need just a few more downed Hemlock for shoulder season wood, that should put us three years ahead.

Once I get that done it's time to finish off that hung up Birch so I can get the Maple underneath it.
zap

Once I get that done it's time to finish off that hung up Birch so I can get the Maple underneath it.
zap[/quote]

Some things never change zap. Seems you always have a plan! :)

zap

Some things never change zap. Seems you always have a plan! :)[/quote]
Well I checked the birch yesterday, it came loose but is still hung up in the hemlock. Time for more shells! ::-)

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.