Batten down the hatches WNY!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
We're looking at gusts possibly over 70mph predicted. And the Cottage is right between empty farm fields and the lake, so we'll be catching it head on if it does blow that high. I am hoping to get home in time to get it nice and hot in there, then let the fire die down because the stove drafts like mad when there's high winds. Gotta round up the garbage cans and see if we can bring in the neighbor's flower pots if they aren't there (we have a neighbor that uses their place as a second home, they are retired and live in Canada, so they are there as often as not). At least throw them in the sun porch. DH is checking to be sure we've got a full can of gas and oil on hand for the saw if needed.

I'm hoping if we've got everything prepped and ready we don't get wholloped. Last wind storm took off a few shingles (we replaced them already), hoping that doesn't happen again. And hopefully if trees fall, they only hit the ground!

Stay safe.

zap

Adios Pantalones said:
Good luck! Plant windbreaks this year if ya can!

Lol, We did-and they blew over!! We've got them tied up to stakes now :p (arborvite)

Hass said:
WHAT?! :|
crap.

aw well.

Yeah.

Here's the official watch thingy:

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 PM EST SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE NIAGARA FRONTIER AND NORTHERN GENESEE VALLEY.

* TIMING...MIDNIGHT SATURDAY THROUGH LATE SATURDAY EVENING.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 30 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 MPH.

* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN POWER OUTAGES AND BRING
DOWN SOME TREES AND LIMBS. PROPERTY DAMAGE IS ALSO LIKELY
INCLUDING MINOR ROOF AND SIDING DAMAGE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS OF 40 MPH ARE
EXPECTED FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR...WITH GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR GREATER
AT ANY TIME. DAMAGE TO TREES...POWER LINES...AND PROPERTY ARE
POSSIBLE WITH WIND OF THIS MAGNITUDE. IF YOU HAVE A HIGH PROFILE
VEHICLES BE EXTRA CAREFUL UNTIL THE WIND SUBSIDES.

IF YOU LOSE POWER AND PLAN ON RUNNING A GENERATOR...MAKE SURE
THAT THE GENERATOR IS LOCATED OUTDOORS AND IS PROPERLY
VENTILATED. SPACE HEATERS SHOULD ALSO BE PROPERLY VENTILATED AND
USED ONLY IF THEY ARE OPERATING PROPERLY.

STAY TUNED TO WEATHER RADIO OR OTHER RADIO AND TV STATIONS FOR
FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.

&&

I like the official thingy lol. stay safe and don't blow away!

Pete

We have a high wind watch at the moment. Same possibilities.

I have to leave for work at 1:30, so I already have the generator out, gassed up, and plugged in. All my wife will have to do is flip the switch and fire it up, if necessary. Even has electric start. I haven't ran it for a few months, so I needed to get it out anyway. It cranked for about three seconds and took right off. I love Seafoam.

At least I don't have to worry about the wood furnace overheating anymore. One of the many reasons we decided to get the stove.

It's weird that type of storm is normal for us here many times during the winter, but this winter has been fairly calm.

Have had some of them bad enough that it took off roofs. Not roofing... the WHOLE roof!

Came in right about 2:20 ish, woke us both up with the sound. Looks like we're replacing a few more shingles, but that's it for the Cottage and the Old House. Blew a window out in the screen room, literally-popped it right out of the track! Didn't break, we're putting it back in tomorrow. A neighbor lost a gutter and some shingles too. Otherwise everyone around here seemed fine. Got about 10 standing dead scotch pine to scrounge up though. All down and somewhat bucked, taking the saw over to finish em up if they aren't gone by tomorrow-got atleast one back here already. But from now on, Nate, you can keep this stuff!!

It's not fun at all. Hard to sleep when it feels like the whole house is moving side to side a few inches.... AND it probably is. Stuff you'd never think of ends up disappearing with the wind too.

Last winter I had left some sheets of OSB in the back of my truck. I had ran to the store before work and didn't have time to unload it. The wind picked up while I was at work. Got home and the back window of the truck was busted out, cab full of snow. One of the sheets I guess flew over the house. The main part of it was stuck in the trees several hundred feet away. Almost all the sheets got damaged beyond use.

I hear ya. We get 50 and 60 mile an hour stuff a couple of times a year. And with 80 foot trees 50 and less feet from the house it is pucker factor nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.