battery back-up. would this work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
battery back-up

Would this power a P-43 for about an hour? would this be ok to use. doesn't say if its pure sine or not.

cwill said:
battery back-up

Would this power a P-43 for about an hour? would this be ok to use. doesn't say if its pure sine or not.

I doubt it. I have the 1350 model and it runs my stove for about 15-20 mins-just long enough to either shut it down or fire up the genny.

the smart line of ups is pure sine wave. Not sure if the one you hve in the link is or not but one that small useally only has a small battery and will not run your unit very long. I have a smart 1500 ups that i extended the battery connection outside the box so I cn hook it up to larger batterys it make the time you can use one a lot longer.

Hello

This surefire is made for a pellet stove battery backup and will give up to 13 hours.

http://www.medfordfuel.com/Surefire_Stove_Sentry.htm

The Surefire Stove Sentry is designed to backup or replace utility power. When it it used with a common 90 Amp hour RV battery, it's highly efficient circuitry provides approximately 8 hours of operation from a pellet stove or 4 hours from a kerosene heater in the absence of electricity.

When electricity is present the Surefire Stove Sentry charges a battery or bank of batteries and monitors electricity levels to your stove or heater. At the instant that a power failure occurs, the Surefire Stove Sentry converts the energy stored in the battery to AC power, assurring operation of the pellet stove or kerosene heater without interruption during the absence of electricity. Additional batteries can be added to the system to increase the available power backup available.

When commercial power is restored, the Surefire Stove Sentry reinstates commercial power as the primary electrical source to operate the pellet stove or kerosene heater. The Surefire Stove Sentry automatically commences recharging the battery, to return it to full capacity for the next power failure.

Attachments

• BateryBackup1.jpg
    BateryBackup1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 702
  • BateryBackup2.jpg
    BateryBackup2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 753
Not a chance..I doubt you could count on much more than about 10 minutes..assuming your motors were happy with it. You could try it out though and then return it if it doesn't work......I suggest looking for a good used UPS maybe missing the battery...then go to a place like http://www.upsforless.com/ for a replacement battery...my battery was around $50 compaired to hundreds from APC

peirhead said:
Not a chance..I doubt you could count on much more than about 10 minutes..assuming your motors were happy with it. You could try it out though and then return it if it doesn't work......I suggest looking for a good used UPS maybe missing the battery...than go to a place like http://www.upsforless.com/ for a replacement battery...my battery was around $50 compaired to hundreds from APC

ok. there was one on an online auction for cheap. just wondering if it would work. probbaly not worth the hassle. thanks

You can get a few hours using a 1500 ups

Wayyy too much money for a invertor!!

I used an old style lawn mower battery (U1L size) and adapted it over on a APC 650 battery back up. The power was a square wave evidently because the stove would not even make a noise in battery mode. It was an spare unit that the original battery went dead so I took it and the battery to the garage and ran a 150 watt bulb off of it to see how it would hold up if the power was clean enough for the stove. It ran long enough to really heat up the unit well beyond a comfortable level and the battery voltage was still 10.5volts. I would really be cautious about modifying a unit with more battery capacity than designed unless it specifies to do so or at least has a fan to keep temps under control The old 650 was so hot when I opened the original battery compartment it smelled like the magic smoke was already starting to escape and we all know what is next after that happens.

Just saying be careful because many units have no ventilation to let heat escape and aren't designed to run much longer than the original battery could support the load.

I have a apc smart 1500 that came from the factory with 2 12 volt 18 amp hour agm batterys. It would run my desk top with monitor for about 30 min before it would complain about low battery. After the batterys died and the replacments were 100 bux new. I got 2 12 volt 100 mp hour agm used batterys for 40 bux each. Ran the anderson connector outside the box and hooked up the 100 amp hour batterys. It will now run my desktop for 2 hours and now even complain about low battery. I have had no problems with it but it does take about a week to recharge the battery with the built in charger. My 1500 in rated in va not watts it is only a 865 watt unit. The 650 in the above post and all apc are rated in VA not watts. 650 va is about 390 watts a 150 watt bulb is a heavy draw on unit not ment to run a long time. If you want to use one for a long time get a larger one with fan and try not to load it to heavy most smart ups units are pure sine wave and have power conditioner and surge built into them. They do not have large load surge in them like power inverter has in them so keep that i mind also if you are going to get one for you stove it may run on 150 watts but the start up could be a short shot of twice that so give you self some head room no you do not kick out on start up.

I have the APC Smart 1500 and it has run my QF Castile more than 2 hours with 40% power still remaining.

Don2222 has the right idea but the parts can be bought seperately and hundreds saved,but some electrical plumbing with proper cables and clamps is necessary. Heavy amperage in play needs proper safety. All the parts can be stored in a heavy tote case.

If your P-43 is new (oct-nov '10) with the new Harman software revision, then the stove will sense the power-loss and the UPS will just run the combustion blower a little at a time to properly, safely and smoke-less-ly shut the stove down.

The harmans do not require a pure sine wave. All the harman dealers are trying to push their SureFire battery backups which are modified sine wave units. All they actually are are over-priced inverter-chargers. Look into some solar-power websites and off-grid inverter/chargers, they can be had for $2-300. You can expect about 8 hours of stove time off of a single deep-cycle battery and most of these units can handle the charging of 3 or 4 wired in parallel.

AVIVIII said:
If your P-43 is new (oct-nov '10) with the new Harman software revision, then the stove will sense the power-loss and the UPS will just run the combustion blower a little at a time to properly, safely and smoke-less-ly shut the stove down.

The harmans do not require a pure sine wave. All the harman dealers are trying to push their SureFire battery backups which are modified sine wave units. All they actually are are over-priced inverter-chargers. Look into some solar-power websites and off-grid inverter/chargers, they can be had for $2-300. You can expect about 8 hours of stove time off of a single deep-cycle battery and most of these units can handle the charging of 3 or 4 wired in parallel.

That is an interesting observation that Harmon sells modified sine wave backups for their stoves. Didn't know that bit of good news.
Went to SureFire's web site for the SF512 to check it out and you are right; modified sine wave output.
http://www.secamerica.com/modelSF512.html

My Harmon pellet furnace has 3 motors. Convection fan; auger motor; and distribution fan. I run it from a UPC and a generator during power outages and have had no problem with any of the motors. I wonder if the motors are heavy duty or there is some filtering going on in Harmon's stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.