Battery charger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
My Walmart battery charger just kicked the bucket on me and I'm in the market for a new one. I need it to charge batteries for my boat, tractor, and snow blower . . . anyone have one they can't live without and love?? What's a good brand or type that I should be looking for?

Unless you spend good coin expect to buy one every couple of years or so...our last three came from Walmart. Just got this one at a farm supply store
94026626AL_L.jpg

The only thing I don't like about it is that the progress needle even when it's off always stays to the left ...at full charge. Other than that it does the job. Couldn't tell ya how much I paid.

I've had trickle chargers that've lasted okay.
The generator came with one and I just keep it plugged in - started great when I tested it the other day.
Plus, we try to not use one of our cars during the winter and keep that on a trickle charger.
Most of them don't overcharge the battery, I think.

That charger has a trickle charge too...now it's called 'battery maintainer'. With just about everything coming from China now a days I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them plugged in. Doesn't your generator self start once a week to charge itself?

I have a Sears 6/12 v. battery charger that must be 40 years old. Works like a champ. I use a little Battery Tender Junior to trickle my motorcycle. Rick

I also have an old sears that was my dads
work perfectly
built when they still made good stuff in the USA
weighs a ton compared to a new one i picked up

Try and find an OLD Schumacher (sp?) I have a couple - and the 10 amp version weighs in at about 15 pounds. They were built to last and take a beating. The new ones are not nearly as well built until you get in to the expensive units.

One thing that I have noticed is the clamps. If the clamps are cheap - so is the rest of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.