Battery Inverter Suggestions for the Quadra Fire Mt Vernon AE ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takchess

Nov 14, 2008
NH
Hi

I'm interested in what Battery and Inverter combination would work for the QuadraFire Mt Vernon AE. Also an estimate of how long I could run it while my power is out.

My preference is to do this instead of a generator.

Feel free to point me to other sources where this is specifically addressed.

Thanks,
Jim

If you purchase the DC battery connector that Quadra Fire sells for the AE, you can hook the stove up to a deep cycle marine battery and get about 6 hours worth of runtime before recharging it. This is what I use, just be sure to connect the cable to the battery terminals before connecting to the stove.

I have not done so myself, but I read where others have made their own cable.

Hi

My people from my local shop are in today and confirmed what TSmith says for about 30 bucks I can get a cable kit and with a marine battery run it for about 7 hours. They were unable to confirm smoke shops suggestion. 8)

Thanks
Jim

I have the cable and have used it several times, it works great. The stove runs in a power saving mode where the fans run a speed lower and the ignitor doesn't work meaning you have to manually light it. Not that big of a deal, the thermostat even walks you through the process.

I was looking at the cable last night, and agree that it wouldn't be very difficult to make one of your own, as long as you have the right connector.

I just got my power back after the Northeast storm. When I got my quad MV AE one of my selling points to my wife was the battery backup. I've had it sitting around for 3+ years and finally got a chance to use it. I have two deep cycle marine batteries and a charger. One battery I got from Costco lasted 10 hours and the other from West Marine lasted about 6 hours. Since my friend still had power I was able to rotate and recharge giving me about 30 hours of heat. Even though it only got down to the 20's and wasn't dead winter, it still came in very handy. I will say also that even though it was my first time using, the stove prompted you through the process making it very easy to use.

Daves said:
I just got my power back after the Northeast storm. When I got my quad MV AE one of my selling points to my wife was the battery backup. I've had it sitting around for 3+ years and finally got a chance to use it. I have two deep cycle marine batteries and a charger. One battery I got from Costco lasted 10 hours and the other from West Marine lasted about 6 hours. Since my friend still had power I was able to rotate and recharge giving me about 30 hours of heat. Even though it only got down to the 20's and wasn't dead winter, it still came in very handy. I will say also that even though it was my first time using, the stove prompted you through the process making it very easy to use.

Very nice to know. I have not gotten a set of cables but might make a pair, I have the large aligator clips. But then again I have a generator for the house.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.