Bayou pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
HD brands of pellets change frequently. I just happened to come across some Bayou 100% hardwood pellets. They are 207 a ton. Took home a few bags to try. To my surprise, the burned hot and I had NO ash accumulation in the burnpot. I have one of those electronic gadgets that measures surface temp. I aimed it at the tubes that blow out the hot air into the room. It read 314 then went to Hi, My whole downstairs was 83F so I had to turn the stove down. I was not running it on the highest setting, but was using the setting I usaully use for mix wood pellets. I think I'll pick up a ton just to have when the temps drop down in the teens or worse. I still have 3 tons of green bag Energex and a couple of tons of MWP. Both those give good heat, but the Energex leaves a lot of ash in the burnpot. Just bought a 100 gallons of oil today at about 3.60 a gallon. Last oil bought was Aug 2010 . I wasn't out of oil, but I didn't want to have to keep an access shoveled out for a delivery.

I burned 25 bags of bayou last season and they made my stove really dirty and quick.It would cake the burnpot pretty good and I had to clean it twice a day. They did throw off some heat though like you said. I would not buy them again, but maybe I got a bad batch of them. Hope they work out better with your stove.

thanks for the feed back. It all counts. I trucked a ton home myself. Took my time and got it all stacked without event. I am hoping for to have them for the nights that drop down into single numbers. Those good Oakies at 300 a ton is just too rich for me unless I can figure out otherwise.
I try to clean my stove after every ton burned. Will have to stick to that schedule while burning those dirty Energex.
I want heat and no burn pot accumulation. I get a doughnut size crumbly clinker from every bag of Energex.
I try to keep up with Jay's reviews. But as he says, you always have to try them and see what works for you.

[quote author="save$" date="1320473519"]thanks for the feed back. It all counts. I trucked a ton home myself. Took my time and got it all stacked without event. I am hoping for to have them for the nights that drop down into single numbers. Those good Oakies at 300 a ton is just too rich for me unless I can figure out otherwise.
I try to clean my stove after every ton burned. Will have to stick to that schedule while burning those dirty Energex.
I want heat and no burn pot accumulation. I get a doughnut size crumbly clinker from every bag of Energex.
I try to keep up with Jay's reviews. But as he says, you always have to try them and see what works for you.[/quoteW

When I test pellets I need to adjust stove settings, but I get tired and never wanna mess with it so who knows maybe I have burned a good pellet and didn't know it. I have just stuck with rocky mountains. Not the best heat, but good enough for here in Tx, and I can go a much longer time with out cleaning the stove. I would love to find a nice hardwood though for those really cold nights here. I want to try SIH pretty bad but that is not ideal since I cant get them close. I would have to drive 2 hours to get them.

I picked up some bags of Bayou and the heat was outstanding. I really can't coment on the ash because I clean the stove every 2-3 days A clean stove is a happy stove :)

Status
Not open for further replies.