Be careful out there.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that is why I'm not touching the big dead yellow birch at the top of our driveway with a pile of huge half-rotten branches at the base and plenty more hovering above.

Just had the same thing happen here in southern Indiana. A 21 year old had a dead limb fall and kill him as he was cutting down a tree. Be careful everyone.

Silver birch here is dangerous because it usually starts rotting at the base inside the bark and nothing looks wrong from the outside.

You can never be too careful......

woodchip said:
Silver birch here is dangerous because it usually starts rotting at the base inside the bark and nothing looks wrong from the outside.

I think all birch are like that. We just have white birch here and for sure it will rot while standing and then suddenly crumble one day.

[/quote]

Not good. I may have once knew the man. Terrible for his family for sure as this is hard to deal with.[/quote]

Dennis, you live near st johns?

By way of the crow, about 20 miles to St Johns. By highway, about 30. We are north and east, not too far north of M-57. Evidently you know this area?

Backwoods Savage said:
woodchip said:

I think all birch are like that. We just have white birch here and for sure it will rot while standing and then suddenly crumble one day.

Funny you mentioned the white birch, Dennis. A huge one fell right across my driveway last week, literally seconds after my wife drove by it. You could not tell the tree was so badly rotted, the bark was perfectly intact all the way around, but inside the trunk it was like soggy saw dust.

I've got a big white birch right on the side of my trail out back that is dead and I'd love it if it just fell down one day when no one was around since I'm weary of cutting it. Not sure what would cause this but down near the bottom of the tree there a little spots that look like rust is dripping down the tree. Maybe the tree got hit with some bird shot at one point. I'd hate to cut it and have the top come crashing down on me or for it fall on someone walking on the trail.

Backwoods Savage said:
By way of the crow, about 20 miles to St Johns. By highway, about 30. We are north and east, not too far north of M-57. Evidently you know this area?

That's one of my usual gas stops on the way to the cabin.

That's very sad and a good reminder to everyone not to get too casual about cutting. I had branches of oak that cracked of and fell last winter from snow that buried themselves 3 feet into the ground with 2 feet of snow on top. That's just a reminder of how much weight and force is involved when they fall.

fire_man said:
Backwoods Savage said:
woodchip said:

Funny you mentioned the white birch, Dennis. A huge one fell right across my driveway last week, literally seconds after my wife drove by it. You could not tell the tree was so badly rotted, the bark was perfectly intact all the way around, but inside the trunk it was like soggy saw dust.

Tony, I'm glad that didn't fall on her or one of the kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.