bear trap style chimmeny sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

94ranger55

Sep 11, 2008
New Hampshire SeaCoast
My boss just give me this contraption that uses two ropes, one to lower down to the bottom then one rope that you pull that releaes this wire metal things .he said it works very well .anybody ever use one of these?

94ranger55 said:
are they as effective as the brush type system ?? this old unit looks well built and very rugged

I know of which you speak! :) Never used one but have seen them. Seems they are either configured for square or rectangle clay tile chimneys.

I wouldn't use one on my SS liner - poly brush only on a SS liner.

If you are into antiques it would make an interesting conversation piece.

Shari

Used one for years in my 8X12 tile chimneys and it did a great job. Gave it to my neighbor when I lined the chimneys and he still uses it.

good to hear i run a clay 8x12 so this should fit the bill perfectly...tryed doing a google search cant find any pics...anyways this thing is super cool..going to take advantage of the warms temps this week and give it a shot !

There is a photo here: chimney cleaner (scroll down until you see the photo)

If anyone is interested in purchasing one, a local hardware store near me still stocks them (believe it or not!). PM me and I will forward the info on the store.

Shari

94ranger55 said:
wonder way nobody uses them anymore ??? consenus is they rock! I like how u don't have to worry about a brush wearing down or a rod to break !?!?

They were not designed for a stainless steel liner and most people here have a SS liner.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.