Beech Off The Hill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
100_4852.JPG I grabbed some mother nature felled beech on the side of this hill, I took care of what was down then dropped what was standing.

I took two loads of beech out then stacked it, it was a great day for working in the woods, attached are some pics.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4854.JPG
    100_4854.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_4855.JPG
    100_4855.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_4856.JPG
    100_4856.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_4858.JPG
    100_4858.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_4861.JPG
    100_4861.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_4862.JPG
    100_4862.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_4863.JPG
    100_4863.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 129
Son of a beech, you have a lot of wood.
This is my first year burning beech, got about 1/2 cord from my BIL, its good stuff, no mess either.

I really like beech. As weatherguy says no mess. I have a fair amount mixed in for next year.

Reactions: ScotO
We love burning beech too, the wife likes it better than sugar maple. I still have another topped off beech in that area an another one on that same hill about half a mile south down the trail.

Tomorrow looks like a day of stacking more beech with ash then clean the saws up with some sharpening some chains that I skipped on Thursday night.

zap

I plan on doing some more splitting and stacking tomorrow if my back is up to it. Had to take tonight off as I had a sore lower back all day. Every time I got out of my truck today it took awhile to get straightened up. Darn thing hasn't flaired up for quite awhile. If I can't split I may try to cut up some poles I have or my slab wood. If all else fails I'll just take the day off and kiss the wife. Or wait maybe that should be my first priority.

I plan on doing some more splitting and stacking tomorrow if my back is up to it. Had to take tonight off as I had a sore lower back all day. Every time I got out of my truck today it took awhile to get straightened up. Darn thing hasn't flaired up for quite awhile. If I can't split I may try to cut up some poles I have or my slab wood. If all else fails I'll just take the day off and kiss the wife. Or wait maybe that should be my first priority.
Some of these look silly but they work for me, hope the back gets better.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D
zap

Looks good zap. Great day to be in the woods, too! I will finish splitting and stacking the walnut tomorrow morning, then going to cut down a medium sized silver maple next door at my brothers house, also going to cut some bigger limbs off of a large ash tree in his back yard. Then I have a large limb on an oak tree over town. Lots of small "tricky" jobs lined up while I have the bucket lift here at the house. Still waiting on parts to finish my 051 project saw, so I will mess around with our living room/fireplace project the rest of the weekend.

Thanks Zap, I already do some of those but I will try some of the other ones. Last time I was at the chiro for the lower back he told me a lot of walking also helps. Was heading out to that end tonight but the thunderstorms got in the way of that.

Looking good Zap! You'll never run out of wood where you are and mother nature drops them for you! Seems like very limbing is needed on those trees and that makes your work easier..

Ray

Looking good, Zap.

When we got 20" of heavy, wet snow, my beech lost tons of limbs. I've just about got them cleaned up now. It was a lot of work for only about a cord of wood. Now, I have to figure out which beech are going to survive and which lost too much. I might just wait since I have 25 dead ash to deal with. :eek:

That, and dropping big beech is a bit scary since they are almost always hollow to some degree.

You just having way to much fun Zap!:)

Looking good, Zap.

When we got 20" of heavy, wet snow, my beech lost tons of limbs. I've just about got them cleaned up now. It was a lot of work for only about a cord of wood. Now, I have to figure out which beech are going to survive and which lost too much. I might just wait since I have 25 dead ash to deal with. :eek:

That, and dropping big beech is a bit scary since they are almost always hollow to some degree.
Are the trees hollow due to insects such as carpenter ants?

Ray

Are the trees hollow due to insects such as carpenter ants?

Ray
Not that I've noticed, Ray. It just seems to be the way beech work. When they get big, they start to hollow, but they will live that way for a long, long time and continue to grow. I think it's their normal life cycle. I could certainly be wrong, though.

zap, it won't be long before you begin to stand lop sided. All that cutting on the hillsides will do that to you unless you change the side you cut on occasionally.

Looking good, Zap.

Waulie, I dropped some beech that was hollow in the middle two winters ago. It had a natural lean forward but I was still worried about it rolling off, better to drop them before they get real big.

zap

You just having way to much fun Zap!:)
Today I sharpened 15 chains (still have three more ripping chains) cleaned all the chainsaws which included taking the cover off the recoil (not real bad) an took the air compressor to them, looks like a pancake breakfast tomorrow then some stacking of more beech.==c
zap

Reactions: smokinj
What time is breakfast? If I can make it I'll also bring the syrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.