Beech Stacked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is the Beech I cut in the winter then a few trees this spring, also in the stack is some ash and sugar maple. That stack is four feet high,sixteen feet long and the splits are 14.75 long.

I still have some Sugar Maple & Beech left from the winter that needs splitting and stacking. After that is done the cherry will be stacked behind the beech.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3845.jpg
    100_3845.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_3846.jpg
    100_3846.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_3847.jpg
    100_3847.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 375
Zap,

your stacks are always so purrrrrdy.

Shawn

Can't wait until we burn some beech, purrrrrrrrrrdy or ugly if she keeps you warm it's a keeper! :coolgrin:

zap

Just awesome.
Isn't the beech trees a good place for gray squirrels, as I remember they ate pretty good.

Look'n great Zap

Zap where did all your wood go? Looks like quite a bit is missing?

maxed_out said:
Zap where did all your wood go? Looks like quite a bit is missing?

Maxed_out, we sold over four cord. If we didn't have all that beech & sugar maple sitting on the ground then I would have never sold it. That nice cherry blowdown will fill the rest of this stacking area.

The wood we sold was nice but I think this will be better btu wood. The beech here start to get hollow at a certain size, we have three beech standing that need to come down. :zip:

zap

bogydave said:
Just awesome.
Isn't the beech trees a good place for gray squirrels, as I remember they ate pretty good.

Look'n great Zap

Thanks bogydave. I'm sure they love them, the beech do not always produce nuts from what I've seen. After all this rain in the spring thru the start of fall it will be interesting to see if they do produce beech nuts this year.

zap

zapny said:
The beech here start to get hollw at a certain size

and cover a quarter acre of canopy

Love burning beech.I save mine for dead of winter.Have a big one to clean up that snapped in half at my parents woodlot

Man I wish you were my neighbor. The wife says I have a wood fetish and my neighbor calls me a wood whore. My 3 cords would look invisible compared to yours. Got 2 cords coming next week, stocking up for next year.

n3pro said:
Man I wish you were my neighbor. The wife says I have a wood fetish and my neighbor calls me a wood whore. My 3 cords would look invisible compared to yours. Got 2 cords coming next week, stocking up for next year.

If you see pictures of me cutting wood this winter, wOOd that make me a bigger wood whore? It. all started in the summer of 2008 when we had a micro burst hit in this area. Keep on the wood supply when you can.

n3pro, how did you come through all the flooding in PA.

zap

Looks real good Zap, as usual. But.......cutting wood within 1/4 inch is getting a tad anal ole' boy! ;-P Cheers!

wood spliter said:
I've taken a nibble out of Beech nuts just as they start to fall. And the wood makes for a good burn!

wood spliter, the previous owner when he was a kid use to go back and gather beechnuts for his mom. I'll be back in milling tomorrow, after I'll head to the area that has a few beech, I'm not sure when they start dropping but I'll check.

zap

Are the girls all set for basketball season?

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
The beech here start to get hollow at a certain size

I have a big problem Solar, some of those beech need to come down so the smaller ones can grow. :mad:

zap

Zap, leave those beech nuts alone. The deer love them and it will help put some fat on them for winter.

btw Zap, when are you going to get rid of those ugly t-posts? :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, leave those beech nuts alone. The deer love them and it will help put some fat on them for winter.

lol i was just ask ya zap how those posts work. i know ive asked befor but i really do not like making walls all the time. oh i am going to be heading up ur way to the adirondacks for a 4 day hike in a few weeks. maybe ill see ya. lol

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
The beech here start to get hollow at a certain size

I have a big problem Solar, some of those beech need to come down so the smaller ones can grow. :mad:

zap

I had the logger take all of those big hollow Beech out of the woods 5 years ago. They didn't come down pretty, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that. Need to go through and thin out all the smaller ones with the fungus now.

ecocavalier02 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

lol i was just ask ya zap how those posts work. i know ive asked befor but i really do not like making walls all the time. oh i am going to be heading up ur way to the adirondacks for a 4 day hike in a few weeks. maybe ill see ya. lol

I think they work great, only had two blowouts in three years and that happened in the winter on the stacks we were using.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.