Beech wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
quick question for someone that knows, because I don't. I rarely hear of anyone mention Beech as a form of firewood fuel for the stove here. I quickly checked it out on the BTU list and it's there as a hardwood somewhere towards the middle. When I take my dogs for a walk through the state park I see American Beech in groves near the water, so it's fairly plentiful. I have laid it as a hardwood floor before and used it with some furniture but... Does anyone here burn it?

I've burned it in my fireplace and found it to be great. Burned hot and very well.

fv

I think I posted this in the wrong section, oh well let's see how it goes

fireview2788 said:
I've burned it in my fireplace and found it to be great. Burned hot and very well.

fv

Is it difficult to split and how long to dry? I know it's fairly straight grained...

I burn some Beech. I love the stuff. Seasons and burns well.

Split and stacked it should be ready in a year. Nice stuff to split too.

I've found the same as BB. Splits well, seasons well, burns well, also the bark is pretty thin so it should make relatively little ash compared to some woods. I am also partial to the looks of Beech whether standing in the woods, or split & sitting in the rack in the livingroom.

My Oslo heats my home said:
quick question for someone that knows, because I don't. I rarely hear of anyone mention Beech as a form of firewood fuel for the stove here. I quickly checked it out on the BTU list and it's there as a hardwood somewhere towards the middle. When I take my dogs for a walk through the state park I see American Beech in groves near the water, so it's fairly plentiful. I have laid it as a hardwood floor before and used it with some furniture but... Does anyone here burn it?

Beech is a great firewood, we love burning it.

GIBIR

Did chimneysweep get a new chart? Looks like White Oak got promoted over beech and black locust? I like Beech and would go out of my way for it. Splits and burns nice.

American Beech is my favorite wood to burn. It seasons fast compared to other hardwoods of comparable quality. It burns great with lots of heat, little sparks and coals nicely. As an added feature the bark is smooth and so does not create as much of a mess when bringing in the house. last, it stacks nicely and looks great in the wood racks as a decoration as well. I have had no problems splitting it fresh and it has fairly straight fine grains. Hope this helps.

The stuff I split was wet and split just fine.

fv

The beech up here is one of the best hard woods. Often gnarly, and sometimes very twisted when splitting.
Super density, burns well, lots of coals.
I'd take a load!

When I see a beech I grab it . . . one of the better woods that I burn in terms of BTU.

Agreed that it is great firewood, but, I've had a lot that was tough to split. Cheers!

This past winter I burned nearly all Beech. It can be a little stringy when splitting but it burns really well.

Ah Beech! I have always loved it for firewood. It isn't worth a hoot for lumber so even if one finds some that looks like it would make a good sawlog, cut it for firewood and enjoy it. Beech is not hard splitting but I've always found it best to split not through the heart but taking some off the sides

MDfireguy said:
American Beech is my favorite wood to burn. It seasons fast compared to other hardwoods of comparable quality. It burns great with lots of heat, little sparks and coals nicely. As an added feature the bark is smooth and so does not create as much of a mess when bringing in the house. last, it stacks nicely and looks great in the wood racks as a decoration as well. I have had no problems splitting it fresh and it has fairly straight fine grains. Hope this helps.
Could not have said better myself......

I am one more vote for Beech. Great firewood and easy to process. I cut one up with an ax last weekend while I was camping and it cuts a lot easier than oak, but seems almost as full of heat. Splits well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.