Been scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
I have been scrounging wood the past few weeks and have made a couple good finds. One was split pine and cedar that was seasoned a year (hey, it's wood). I have been mixing with some hardwoods and it's been great. The cedar really gives an awesome smell.

Picked up a load of rounds tonight that the person had for 2 years. Not sure what it is, but it is a hardwood. I will split and see.

Also stopped by a house this afternoon from a craigslist add. The guy said it was a cord and a half for $100. I haven't paid for wood yet, but I am trying to get ahead. They were all 6-15" rounds. 9 ft. by about 5ft. stacked, 1 row of 18-20" pieces....not even close to 1.5 cords. Needless to say I passed.

My goal is to not pay for wood. I know that might not be realistic, but I will keep looking for the free stuff.

This wind in the area should produce some more tomorrow.

I am in the same boat....trying to get it free if I can!! Great score you got there. I have paid for some, to get started for next year. BUT, I have about 2 cords of FREE stuff that has come my way. I now have a nice stash of Ash, a ton of Oak, Mulberry, Cherry, and some of what I think is Cottonwood (again, not the greatest, but it was free!) I see you are not far from me, we should try to get together some day....maybe cut some wood!

Congrats on the scrounges!
If you have the time, a saw to cut with and a truck or trailer to move the wood all you have to do is put the word out there and be willing to jump on the scrounges whenever they come up rain or shine, 15 or 95 degrees out; you'll get what you need. Just do what you say you'll do, be square with people & many will be happy to get rid of unwanted wood.
I imagine you may quickly encounter wood that may be too large for the 435 to handle well.

You don't need too many contacts before you will have plenty of wood. Before the snow flew, I had 40 cord of free wood on hand and have only been in the scrounging game 2 years. I did 6 cord in one week alone this past Fall. If you are willing to take the good with the not as good, short with the long and most importantly show up when called, you will have plenty of tree guys calling you. I've also heard some of the farmers around here are letting guys cut all they want out of their hedge rows after the crops come off the fields.

midwestcoast said:
If you have the time, a saw to cut with and a truck or trailer to move the wood all you have to do is put the word out there and be willing to jump on the scrounges whenever they come up rain or shine, 15 or 95 degrees out; you'll get what you need. Just do what you say you'll do, be square with people & many will be happy to get rid of unwanted wood.
I imagine you may quickly encounter wood that may be too large for the 435 to handle well.

Yeah, a bigger saw will have to wait a while. I don't want to just get any saw. You get what you pay for and I want to get a good one.

I made one good contact from a tree guy and he said contact him in the fall, and I could have all I want...I'm not complaining.

Once the word gets out that you will take wood, people will start calling you. I picked up a few pieces from a friends place a couple of years ago. He told a mutual friend who has a big ranch with a bunch of standing dead oaks. This guy also manages another ranch with more recently downed oak than I could burn in a dozen lifetimes.

A neighbor down the road heard I wanted wood and said she'd call me the next time they take a tree down on their property. Then she told her cousin who has a big place nearby. We happened to know her cousin (but did not know they were related) and the cousin said I could come out there anytime and take all the down wood I want.

None of these people burn wood in the their homes! It's all mine for the taking. I can't possibly ever use it all and don't have time to go into the wood business.

Just get the word out.

midwestcoast said:
+1 getin close to the 20 cord mark. all free. and hopefully will have about 30 or more come summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.