Before you go out and buy an expensive guitar!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Thinking about getting one of your kids or grandkids interested in music, by buying them a guitar? Don't spend a ton of money............just be careful what you buy........(the reference to "you folks" is for another Forum crowd, but I'll share this video with YOU folks, as well).............

what am I missing here?

The video is self descriptive. If your speakers are turned off, you might be missing that part and the nifty little blues rift at the end.

That sounds like at least a $9.50 guitar to me. Heck of a deal! %-P Rick

BeGreen said:
The video is self descriptive. If your speakers are turned off, you might be missing that part and the nifty little blues rift at the end.
oh, there's a video? Not on my computer. I bet it's youtube or something and work has blocked it. the post I see is just text, not even with a space where a video would be. Sorry!

Get back to work! :coolgrin:

not bad for a 5 dollar guitar, lefty righty upside down and backwards. wonder what ya sound like on a 5,000 dollar one righty righty rightside up and ?

Sorta like this:

Good friend of mine has many guitars, most not very expensive. Its more the player than the guitar.

Soupy,
Sounds nice. I like the thumb over the top chord technique. I try to play, but it I basically just bang on the strings and pretend its music. Been taking lessons for a couple years, but I'm a sloooow learner. I've been attempting the banjo as well lately.
Sounds like you've been playing a while.

45 years and counting, Jaugust124. It's one of those things that I started doing as a little guy, and never stopped.

-Soupy1957

I've been playing guitar for over 15 years. In that time I have managed to collect 14 guitars. I haven't played in a while been too busy getting the nursery ready for our soon to be little girl. Always love grabbing the guitar and playing.

I went to a music store and bought an acoustic using the actual sound....not the brand or the price. It was 175.00
Sometime after that I bought an Ovation ($800).

I sold the Ovation........the other one sounds better! It is a Suzuki brand.....from Japan, I think.
http://www.suzukimusicstore.com/servlet/the-template/about/Page

I gots me a few guitars and my fav is the one i paid the least for. Its a 15 year old Ibanez, laminate top, that just plays real well. Have some others approaching $1000, but they just dont do what that cheap thing does. That being said, I wouldnt turn down something with a $5000 price tag if it fell into my lap :cheese: , especially if it had a nice Florentine cut-away, cuz thats a sharp look, or one of those big ass Selmers for that whole gypsy thing.

Webmaster said:
I went to a music store and bought an acoustic using the actual sound....not the brand or the price. It was 175.00
Sometime after that I bought an Ovation ($800).

I sold the Ovation........the other one sounds better! It is a Suzuki brand.....from Japan, I think.
http://www.suzukimusicstore.com/servlet/the-template/about/Page

I've tried many times to handle the ovation, man, that rounded back always make the guitar roll away from me, so bizarre.

I'm all for beginners starting with a not-so-hot guitar. When they put in the time...then get a decent guitar. And then they sound much better, and is actually incentive when you go from a POS to a good guitar, to advance. But a beginner wouldn't appreciate the step up!!!

I think that guitar is worth every penny of $5. It looks and sounds more like a ukulele! I started with something like that and moved onto something that sounds more like an acoustic.

I would like to add: The thing that sets apart the good from the bad, is the ability to stay in tune. There is no point in playing an out of tune guitar...it's quite painful to the player as well as anyone within the listening range.

Ovation may be the collector items of the future. There about done since Fender bought them. Guild is what Fender wants the little shop in CT. to produce. Fender also squashed the Hamer brand. They are only doing custom's for stars. Probably the same fate for Ovation! Sad.

my neighbor makes guitars. They aren't cheap, but his acoustic guitars are unlike any I've ever seen.
heck, If I wanted to, i could even cut down a tree and get that made into a guitar. I think he still has the stump to a giant black walnut that he bought off of the previous owner of my home.

http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkg718_005.htm

Delta-T said:
I've tried many times to handle the ovation, man, that rounded back always make the guitar roll away from me, so bizarre.

Back in the day, I always told my customers to let me put Velcro on the back of their Ovation and then wear a fuzzy shirt when they play. :lol: Never made me very many friends among the Ovation-playing set, but those things are a major PITA to repair anyway. :roll:

Never cared for them at all, much prefer the sound of a vintage Martin or Gibson.

About 20 years ago I got very sick, and then very broke during the recovery. I had to sell all my guitars to pay the bills, even my 1952 (year I was born) Martin 00-18. After I started to feel better, I really wanted a guitar but couldn't afford anything. I was at a yard sale and they had this crappy little laminated Stella-type guitar for $2. It had nylon strings on it, but I just played the blues on it anyway. It went from sounding terrible to sounding... OK, still terrible, but I eventually learned to make it talk a bit. Once you have the sounds in your head and fingers, something worthwhile will come out of any POS. It actually made me use more percussive techniques, so it added to my skills rather than take anything away.

Status
Not open for further replies.