Belly refractory broke on Tarm again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbb123

Dec 6, 2007
Coxsackie, NY
First one lasted about 2 1/2 years this one made it a little over a year. When I ordered the last one I got 2 and the salesman said these should last longer this time they made them better. So much for that. I knew it was going I was having gassing problems the last month or so today I removed the turbulators for the summer and gave it a good cleaning and it came out in 2 pieces.

I replace mine every couple of years also. It seems like a poor design and expensive. Are the new furnaces any better at having the refractory bricks last longer?

Disappointing, I'm sure. Finishing second season on my Tarm, and no evidence of issues with the refractory. Night-time temps around here still occasionally get below freezing, and high 30's and low 40's are still pretty common. I don't think it made 50 today.

Not sure of the complexity of the shape of the refractory nozzle but could you cast the shape of a new nozzle and make a mold? I think there are many types of premix refractory concrete that the average joe could buy (something like http://www.doityourself.com/invt/1575091) and try casting your own nozzles. Maybe bake them for several days for a full dry-out and hardening and voila - you are saving some $$$. Just my sometimes humble $.02.

thecontrolguy said:
Not sure of the complexity of the shape of the refractory nozzle but could you cast the shape of a new nozzle and make a mold? I think there are many types of premix refractory concrete that the average joe could buy (something like http://www.doityourself.com/invt/1575091) and try casting your own nozzles. Maybe bake them for several days for a full dry-out and hardening and voila - you are saving some $$$. Just my sometimes humble $.02.

I thought about this they have a curved inside and bottom I see no reason for the bottom to be round I could form that side square. This would add some mass maybe make it a little more durable. Also a sure sign your refractory is cracked is trouble getting secondary to kick in. Mine even in warm weather only takes 10 minutes or so after lighting to get secondary to go. When it cracks it takes forever and never really burns right. I thought I just needed to take my turbulators out for summer cause it was acting up but unforunatly it was the refractory. What would anyone who has formed with refractory concrete recommend for form material? Wood, metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.