Bent grass......how to rid of it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
I noticed this year that i had different looking type of grass growing, although it was green you could pull it up in pieces almost like a carpet...did some searchin and found that its bent grass and unless kept at an inch or lower it will have a pillow effect (tall patch). it pulls up easily because it doesn't root very deep kinda grows on top of soil. anyway has anyone ever had this and if so how did you rid of it....thanks

EatenByLimestone said:
Have you tried vinegar or Rodeo yet? How about black plastic?

Matt
no, i just today found out what it was so the goal is to tackle it soon as spring hits

I have exactly the same problem!
I think the wet summer did it.
How do you know it's bent grass?
I self-diagnosed mine as rough blue grass.
If I'm right, I read you have to kill it with round up and start again.
The stuff I have spreads real quick.

I think in a homeowner situation your only choice is to kill it with a non-selective herbicide and reseed. There are other ways to do it but i don't think a homeowner could get their hands on the right chemicals.

velvetfoot said:
I have exactly the same problem!
I think the wet summer did it.
How do you know it's bent grass?
I self-diagnosed mine as rough blue grass.
If I'm right, I read you have to kill it with round up and start again.
The stuff I have spreads real quick.
google bent grass and you'll see all the descriptions and pictures that lead to it....come spring i'm gonna bring a patch to the local LESCO dealer

It can be hard to say what exactly is or is not Bentgrass, because a number of weeds and other grasses can look like it, especially in colder months. Bentgrass in these parts doesn't spread very fast, especially through reasonably healthy turf. I have a small patch in the middle of some healthy bluegrass that I haven't gotten around to digging up, but it hasn't spread.

Round-Up won't work at this time of year. Is this weed in patches, or spreading through healthy turf? If in patches, just cut down into the margins with a sharp spade or sod cutter and lift up like a mat, and discard somewhere far from your turf. Then reseed in the spring.

If it's intermixed with healthy turf that you want to keep, there are chemicals that will kill it and spare your turf, but I'm not sure homeowners can get it.

Doesnt take much to kill bent grass strong mix of weed killer will do it in.

dave11 said:
It can be hard to say what exactly is or is not Bentgrass, because a number of weeds and other grasses can look like it, especially in colder months. Bentgrass in these parts doesn't spread very fast, especially through reasonably healthy turf. I have a small patch in the middle of some healthy bluegrass that I haven't gotten around to digging up, but it hasn't spread.

Round-Up won't work at this time of year. Is this weed in patches, or spreading through healthy turf? If in patches, just cut down into the margins with a sharp spade or sod cutter and lift up like a mat, and discard somewhere far from your turf. Then reseed in the spring.

If it's intermixed with healthy turf that you want to keep, there are chemicals that will kill it and spare your turf, but I'm not sure homeowners can get it.
it's pretty much by itself in patches but they are getting bigger, i'll pull it up in carpet type pieces come spring and reseed

most of the herbicides are available to home owners at farm centers. The hard to get ones are the insecticides and fungicides. When I do my lawn I go to a chemical co. to get the stuff, its more expensive but you get more chem. per Qt. The box store stuff is mostly water.

forgot to say take a sample in and they will tell you what it is and what you need..

Status
Not open for further replies.