Best "Bang For The Buck" Wood Pellet for 2010 - 2011 Burn Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glosta

Nov 1, 2009
North of Boston
My nominee for best "bang for the buck" wood pellet for 2010 - 2011 burn season would have to be Stove Chow. For $187 per ton ($3.74 per bag) you get very good heat, low ash, and very little fines.

My runner up bang for the buck pellet for 2010-2011 would be Green Team. Very similar burning characteristics to Stove Chow (maybe slightly hotter??) at the same $187 per ton price. My only gripe is that my local Lowes has been sold out of Green Team since late November. The only pellets they've had in stock since December are Inferno (yuck) and Clean Energy.

I would also consider Greene Team and Stove Chow as best bag for the buck pellets due to the bigbox prices. But I suppose any of the bigbox brands going for $187/ton(plus discount) could be in that line up. Seeing the nearest pellet in my area is at $210/ton. The only brand I would not except is Inferno.

I haven't tried the Fireside Ultra's from HD, But have heard some good tales about them. After all there bagged by the same company as Stove Chow. Maine Choice, Pres to Logs, Clean Energy, Nature's Own, Fireside Ultra's, Freedom Fuel, Nations choice, Green Team and Stove Chow. Could all be a good deal depending on whats available in the local area and there going price. I can purchase about 68 bags of these brands for the same price as 50 bags. I deal with a bit of extra ash or a tad less heat for shoulder or between pellets.

Still going to keep a ton or two of the cold weather top shelf brands for the extreme cold. With the temps I am seeing today. The stove chow or Green Teams just wouldn't cut it without jacking up the feed rate. I am currently burning Turmans. The bit of extra heat allows me to keep the stove setting to medium. I know they cost more but I am not going threw the bags as fast either. I paid $5.00 a bag for the Turmans and current use is 1 bag/day. Stove Chow would be 1 and 1/2 bag/day at $3.74/bag or $5.61/day. So playing both sides of the street seems to save me the most over the entire season. Plus I help support both to keep them both in business.

Bacically just trying to say you have to consider more than just the bottom line(price paid) as there are other variables involved. FYI only and take it for what its worth. I really don't know crap about pellets, But I have stayed at Holiday Inn. And burnt a crap load of tons in the past 11 seasons. :) :cheese: :) %-P hehe!

j-takeman said:
I would also consider Greene Team and Stove Chow as best bag for the buck pellets due to the bigbox prices. But I suppose any of the bigbox brands going for $187/ton(plus discount) could be in that line up. Seeing the nearest pellet in my area is at $210/ton. The only brand I would not except is Inferno.

I haven't tried the Fireside Ultra's from HD, But have heard some good tales about them. After all there bagged by the same company as Stove Chow. Maine Choice, Pres to Logs, Clean Energy, Nature's Own, Fireside Ultra's, Freedom Fuel, Nations choice, Green Team and Stove Chow. Could all be a good deal depending on whats available in the local area and there going price. I can purchase about 68 bags of these brands for the same price as 50 bags. I deal with a bit of extra ash or a tad less heat for shoulder or between pellets.

Still going to keep a ton or two of the cold weather top shelf brands for the extreme cold. With the temps I am seeing today. The stove chow or Green Teams just wouldn't cut it without jacking up the feed rate. I am currently burning Turmans. The bit of extra heat allows me to keep the stove setting to medium. I know they cost more but I am not going threw the bags as fast either. I paid $5.00 a bag for the Turmans and current use is 1 bag/day. Stove Chow would be 1 and 1/2 bag/day at $3.74/bag or $5.61/day. So playing both sides of the street seems to save me the most over the entire season. Plus I help support both to keep them both in business.

Bacically just trying to say you have to consider more than just the bottom line(price paid) as there are other variables involved. FYI only and take it for what its worth. I really don't know crap about pellets, But I have stayed at Holiday Inn. And burnt a crap load of tons in the past 11 seasons. :) :cheese: :) %-P hehe!

Iteresting, I think the Turmans aren't quite as hot, I know the Okies are very hot, but I also noticed the Maine Woods Pellets seem to be hotter than the Turmans as well. Pretty much in line with this link below. I would also say I like the way the ash is fluffier and puffs away easier with the MWP. I am not being scientific here, but it just seems that the MWP and Okies are pretty close, MWP being less dusty though.

http://squierlumber.com/pages/test_results.cfm

lordgrinz said:
j-takeman said:

Iteresting, I think the Turmans aren't quite as hot, I know the Okies are very hot, but I also noticed the Maine Woods Pellets seem to be hotter than the Turmans as well. Pretty much in line with this link below. I would also say I like the way the ash is fluffier and puffs away easier with the MWP. I am not being scientific here, but it just seems that the MWP and Okies are pretty close, MWP being less dusty though.

http://squierlumber.com/pages/test_results.cfm

It could very well be as each stove will be a bit different. It has to due with the volume of fuel fed by the auger. So what I found with my beast may not apply to others. The YMMV rule applies. Stoves are infected with variables. As are wood pellets. Moisture content has an effect on BTU output. Probably the variable most often overlooked. Plus My Turmans are 3 seasons old now and came from a inside storage and were never kept outside.

Glosta said:
My nominee for best "bang for the buck" wood pellet for 2010 - 2011 burn season would have to be Stove Chow. For $187 per ton ($3.74 per bag) you get very good heat, low ash, and very little fines.......

Stove Chow at that price is my pick for "Sleeper pellet" of the year.

imacman said:
Glosta said:
My nominee for best "bang for the buck" wood pellet for 2010 - 2011 burn season would have to be Stove Chow. For $187 per ton ($3.74 per bag) you get very good heat, low ash, and very little fines.......

Stove Chow at that price is my pick for "Sleeper pellet" of the year.[/quote]

X2....they burn great in my stove......bought next years supply this season....mini oink!

slvrblkk said:
imacman said:
Glosta said:

Stove Chow at that price is my pick for "Sleeper pellet" of the year.[/quote]

X2....they burn great in my stove......bought next years supply this season....mini oink!

Found out within the past few days that they burn great in my Lopi Yankee & my brothers Englander 25 PDVC as well.

My brother and I picked up 12 tons today (6 for him & 6 for me) at Home Depot.

They were $187.00 per ton plus my brother received a 10% veteran's discount, so we ended up paying $168.30 per ton :) .

I put my 6 tons away in the shed for next years heating season.

Going to reorganize things in the old wood shed tomorrow, I think that I can get about 4 tons in it.

Sure would be nice to have a 2 year supply on hand @ 168.30 a ton ;-)

I know some people have had had "Bad Luck" with the Lignetic Presto-Logs. But they burned great for me. Just left my local Home Depot in Ashland Ohio. Got 5 Tons. On sale there for $177 a ton. Also picked up my Fahrenhiet Endurance pellet furnace today. Life is GOOD!! Not looking forward to the end of winter. Love my Harley (07 Super-Glide). But I love me my Pellet Burner's!! (x2 now)

DexterDay said:
.....Also picked up my Fahrenhiet Endurance pellet furnace today. Life is GOOD!!......

You have to post pics of that puppy after it's all installed, for sure.

DexterDay said:
.....Also picked up my Fahrenhiet Endurance pellet furnace today. Life is GOOD!!......

Nice! Can't wait to hear how you like it and how it works for you. Yep pictures are a must too!

Roger that J-takeman and imacman.. As soon as I get more computer literate. Took me almost a month to get my photo to come up on the screen when I post something. I might have to recruit the Wife and Sub-Contract out that job. Either way should be about a week or so. Bought it used, for a phenomenal price. Same price as a new "Santa Fe" Getting ready to go out to the garage now and clean it up, learn the ins and outs of it.. Burrp! With ice cold beverages. LOL.

j-takeman said:
I haven't tried the Fireside Ultra's from HD, But have heard some good tales about them. After all there bagged by the same company as Stove Chow. Maine Choice, Pres to Logs, Clean Energy, Nature's Own, Fireside Ultra's, Freedom Fuel, Nations choice, Green Team and Stove Chow. Could all be a good deal depending on whats available in the local area and there going price.

I am confused about the bagging statement. The Greene Team has PA, USA listed as the location and the Fireside Ultras have a Canada listing. The shrink wrap on the FU pallets also say "Product of Canada".

turbotech said:
j-takeman said:
I haven't tried the Fireside Ultra's from HD, But have heard some good tales about them. After all there bagged by the same company as Stove Chow. Maine Choice, Pres to Logs, Clean Energy, Nature's Own, Fireside Ultra's, Freedom Fuel, Nations choice, Green Team and Stove Chow. Could all be a good deal depending on whats available in the local area and there going price.

I am confused about the bagging statement. The Greene Team has PA, USA listed as the location and the Fireside Ultras have a Canada listing. The shrink wrap on the FU pallets also say "Product of Canada".

From what I have heard, Fireside Ultra's are bagged by Energex in CA. Energex also bags the Stove Chow brand.

Greene Team has nothing to do with Energex. Nor do any of the other brands. I was only stating the other brands for the dollar paid might be a decent deal depending on the area your purchasing them in. Compared to whats available price wise locally.

Best value has been Atlas ultra premium for 189.00 a ton.The next best has been Blazers for 187.00 a ton at Home depot.

j-takeman said:
turbotech said:
j-takeman said:

From what I have heard, Fireside Ultra's are bagged by Energex in CA. Energex also bags the Stove Chow brand.

Greene Team has nothing to do with Energex. Nor do any of the other brands. I was only stating the other brands for the dollar paid might be a decent deal depending on the area your purchasing them in. Compared to whats available price wise locally.

I was wondering how the bagging for the Fireside Ultras went. The bag says made in the USA, and the pellets are made in Canada. I wondered if the pellets were shipped for bagging or the bags were shipped to Canada. I see what you mean now. I missed the period after "....company as Stove Chow."

Burned Greene Teams , Stove Chow, Fireside Ultras, Logik-e, and Somersets. The best burning for me was the Somersets. If Lowes gets them back in my area I will buy nexts years supply. At 187 a ton they get my vote for best pellet this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.