$$$Best price for pellets in Delaware and or Cecil County ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmelch1

Dec 7, 2010
Chesapeake City, MD
Just starting to finish My first pallet of pellets, Wondering if there's any GOOD deals in the area. The only price I know is $223.00 at the Tractor Supply in Middletown, which I guess is probably not that bad. Thanks C.E

Ed S , Thanks for the info, but between tax and the gas mileage I get on my truck , the DE. Tractor Supply will be the store to beat !!! I guess it will probably come down to the Tractor Supply, Lowe's or Home Depot they're all within a mile of each other, or somebody post a hot deal they heard of. I had went on a hunt'n trip long before I even heard of a pellet stove , and one of the hunters at the camp was telling us that he'd buy pellets for cheap and get a tractor trailer and bring them south and sell them for a good profit or double his money, I believe He lived in NY. I don't think I ever remember seeing anybody selling them roadside , but I'm sure it might be common in the North.

No tax on pellets on Pa or Md; none that I have paid so far.

There was a guy who had an advertisement sort of what you are talking about. Do a search for my post it should come up. But he was out of Maine and would buy them buy the truck load and sell them through out Maine, southern Pennsylvania and north east Md. I had never heard of the pellets he had, also when I called him on them he apparently sold out for the year and was not sure if he was coming back down to Pa next year cause of bad sales.

emmelch1 - Home Depot has pellets for for $187/ton. Pennington/Nature's Heat. Check around though since I live near 2 and one did have a higher price(~$229/ton)

To make it short. Thanksgiving day I ran out of pellets, my miscalculation. Only place open is Walmart. Bought 3 bags of Penningston, Burned up bag and half in less then 12 hours, if you want to call it burned and took me 2 days to get the stove straight and burning right again. Biggest PITA, I have dealt with yet in my short ownership of a stove.

Good info Ed. I picked up 2 bags to try in our new stove. Maybe I'll wait until the end of the season to give them a run through.

After reading through some of the other threads. Pellets seem to be really coming down in price. Not sure around here, I was just at HD and Lowes yesterday and did not even bother to look at pellets.

As far as pellets not being taxed for the original poster - you are so close to Delaware I am pretty sure there is a big HD right across the state line from Elkton on Rte 40. Delaware has no tax at all.

The Home Depot in Middletown, DE , has a ton for $187.00 . I don't know which brand , they were outside and covered up . I have 30 bags left and think I'll be able to get through the Holidays , I would doubt if I could beat that price .

I got a ton at Below The Grid. They were the TriState Biofuels. My stove likes them. and they were $235 a ton.
When I went to see what kind they had, Bret "gave" me a bag to try. Didn't even try to sell me a bag.

They seem to know what they are talking about too.

emmelch1 said:
The Home Depot in Middletown, DE , has a ton for $187.00 . I don't know which brand , they were outside and covered up . I have 30 bags left and think I'll be able to get through the Holidays , I would doubt if I could beat that price .

187.00 is a good price depending on what they are. I would like to know. But $12 for a 2 hour road trip is not worth it for me.

twojrts said:
I got a ton at Below The Grid. They were the TriState Biofuels. My stove likes them. and they were $235 a ton.
When I went to see what kind they had, Bret "gave" me a bag to try. Didn't even try to sell me a bag.

They seem to know what they are talking about too.

The Tristate is heavier pellet good for you bottom feeders. They definitely know alot about all they stuff they sell answered my install questions too.

My stove is a top feed and they are doing well. No clinkers either!

I asked Bret what caused the clinkers and you might have thought he quoted the guys on here. I had already read what causes them. I just wanted to see
what his answer would be. He was right on.

Just an FYI - I've seen Stove Chow at some Home Depots as well for $187/ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.