Best Sealant for Sealing Air Leaks in Stove Pipe???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I've been having some troubles with my fires lately and it dawned on my that the troubles started when I gave my chimney/stove pipe. I used the SootEater to clean out the pipe from the bottom up.

Anywho...I didn't have any incense sticks but I lit a match and the flame almost got blown out buy the suction through the stove pipe seams. Obviously, I need to seal them up.

Does anyone make a flexible silicone based sealant that will survive very high temps? I know Rutland has a silicone version that will survive up to 600 degrees but I don't think that will survive near the stove collar. I have double wall chimney/stove pipe and the 600F silicone would probably be fine except for the first few feet off the stove.

There is also Rutland's Hi-Temp Stove and Gasket Cement. I'm sure it would do a good job sealing but how does it doesn't appear to be flexible once cured. How does it hold up to vibrations and the natural expansion/contraction of the metal pipe? The stove pipe does get banged around a bit when the SootEater is going through there.

Any suggestions?

Here are some links on the subject that you may be interested in reading https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/search_results/101cdcd696249b05d46652120a5e8e40/

pen

This is what you'd want to use

photo_24.jpg

Thank you. How "clean" is this stuff? My stove pipe is pretty and I'd hate to make it look like I smeared peanut butter all over it. I initially thought silicone just because of the ease of using a caulking gun.

You take the pipe apart and put it on the joints as you put back together, if done right you wont see it.

The stuff in the picture that I shared w/ you is black in color, so that helps also.

The stuff I used wasn't black and I had to be much more careful with it.

pen

As an additional note, if the cleaning is what caused your problem, I would think that this issue would have been present when you first started using this system when new and clean.

Sure you didn't seperate something when doing the cleaning? Or even partially block the cap w/ a chunk of creosote that didn't bust up? Put a baffle back incorrectly?

I'm asking because usually a problem like this would be an ongoing issue, and not something that suddenly appears.

pen

BurnIt13 said:
Thank you. How "clean" is this stuff? My stove pipe is pretty and I'd hate to make it look like I smeared peanut butter all over it. I initially thought silicone just because of the ease of using a caulking gun.

Don't be afraid to smear it on. Put the pipe together and take an old rag and wet it. The excess wipes right off very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.