Best time of year to buy an insert / cost of s/s chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Hey Everyone, Since I have gotten so much great advice from people, here are a few more questions that came to mind.
First, does anyone have any idea what the best time of year is best to purchase? I was thinking of April - May or even summer.
Also, Last year I was looking at possibly a pellet stove and I recollect being quoted about $1400 for a stainless steel chimney liner. Does this sound right? I thought I saw liners in the $400-$500 range on-line. It can't cost $1000 for installation can it?
Thanks.

Liner cost depends on how tall the chimney you want to line, and if you are insulating it. Pretty easy to get some online quotes once you know that, and compare. If you don't plan to do the install yourself, you may want to just get the liner through whomever you are going to have install it though.

tickbitty,
I don't plan on doing the install myself for a number of reasons.
1) I am no longer a fan of getting on a second story roof.
2) There are jobs that I don't mind tackling, but I really don't know what I am doing in this situation and would much rather leave it up to the people who have been doing it for many years.

As I said this is a two-story house so I imagine the height of the chimney must be 20-25 feet. most likely 20 feet because it goes up through the garage roof and that is slightly lower than the main house.
Anyway, using those figures I will research online.
Thanks for the timely answer. It is greatly appreciated.

Right now Jotul & Hearthstone are offering 20% of the price
of their products, including inserts, until 28 Feb.
A 25' uninsulated liner kit will cost you $450 - $500...
Install for BOTH will add $600 - $800 to the cost...

I would say that around $500 for 25 Ft of ss liner is a good average.When we had our wood stove put in 3 years ago mid April the cost of the liner was $500-200 (end of season discount) plus around $400 installation.

I paid about 1500 for a 2 story ss chimmney materials then another 500 for the install which included cutting through the wall and running the pipe up the exterior of the house. They installed a tee section for cleaning. Materials alone I priced out at about 7-800 dollars. May have paid a little more then I wanted but it gave me piece of mind rather then doing it myself.

A coworker informed me prices on chimneys and such usually are lowest in spring and summer. I'm thinking about buying that jotul now and then buying the material to install it come spring/summer. Lowes Depot will surely have a sale in the springtime for the sake of clearing the floorspace.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the input. I just came from a local dealer and he quoted me $400-$500 for the s/s liner and $650 for the install of the fireplace insert AND the liner. I thought that sounded reasonable.
The only other problem I have is deciding which insert to choose. I feel like the more I look, the more confused I get. He also quoted me a price of $1900 for a Napoleon 1402. I did not get written quotes, but when all was said and done the whole package would be around $4000. He said probably the same for a Regency or Hampton. Give or take a couple bucks. As I said, I did not crunch the exact numbers with him, so these are ballpark figures. I still want to look at the Pacific Energy, Jotul Rockland 550, and HearthStone Clydesdale. If anyone has any thoughts on these, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Inserts can be costly. There are lots of reviews and comments on these stoves in this forum. Just search on the product name. There's also the creaky ancient ratings section that could have some good info:
https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php

While out there maybe also look at the Lopi Freedom too.

Just guessing here, but I'm thinking right now to Spring would be the best time if there is such a thing as a best time to buy a stove . . . folks are thinking more towards Spring and Spring chores or projects that they want to do instead of thinking about how they want to heat their home next year . . . plus I must admit I passed by a woodstove shop the other day and they had a sign outside advertising some pretty hefty discounts on in-stock stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.