Best vac for cleaning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAHlove

Dec 13, 2007
Western Mass
What's the best vacuum for cleaning my pellet stove?

I've been using our house vac and just cleaning out the bag frequently.

But wondering if it make sense to use a dedicated shop vac with filters, etc. or spend the $200+ for a metal, stove ash vac?

What say you all?

I've been using a small 6 gal Shop Vac with a fine dust filter to clean my stove. It works great, and no dust gets blown around. I usually go through 2 filters for the season mainly because my wife uses the vac for other things.

JAHlove said:
I've been using our house vac and just cleaning out the bag frequently.

But wondering if it make sense to use a dedicated shop vac with filters, etc. or spend the $200+ for a metal, stove ash vac?

IMO, not worth the extra $$. Just use what you've been using.....I can think of a lot better uses for $200. Even the expense for a cheap shop vac & HEPA filter (minimum of $50 to buy both) seems excessive. I'm doing what you did, use house vac and clean bag often.

My 2 cents.

Guys I'd use a shop vac with a drywall bag.
Just make sure you let the stove cool down enough
so there are no hot ashes that can start a fire inside
the vac.

You WILL kill your regular house vac regardless
of how often you change the bag. The fine dust
jams up the small passages and the motor...
I learned the hard way - after my house vac got trashed.
Might not happen right away but it will get farked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.