Best Way to Cut Loose Limbs to Size???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I've cut down a number of trees in my back yard and I now have a huge pile of limbs. These limbs average about 10' long and range from 3-6" in diameter. Cutting them to 16" lengths has proven difficult because the saw just wants to spin the limb.

What is a good, safe way to do this by yourself?

You need yourself a sawbuck. There are many examples on this site if you use the search feature. Some pretty neat ideas, too.

You could try roping or bungee cording a bunch of them together so they don't move as easily. Placing the bungee-corded bundle on a sawbuck, or even bungee-cording the whole thing to the sawbuck would be very helpful. The easiest way of all is to cut them while they are still attached to the tree. When I cut a tree I am always eager to cut all the limbs off the way lumberjacks do, but I am not making saw logs, I am making firewood. I try to cut all the branches to length while they are still attached to the trunk to avoid the situation you are in.

Here are 2 ideas, the sawbuck is simple to make and works quite well, you can put a bunch of branches in it and run the chainsaw down through all.

The chainsaw buddy http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CB41 also works well.
I have it mounted on a small cheap electric chainsaw. It holds smaller branches so you can easily and safely cut them.

Attachments

• sawbuck_1.jpg
    sawbuck_1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,145
  • PDR_0016.jpg
    PDR_0016.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 951
I have posted this a few times and you cannot beat it for cutting a bunch of limbs at a time. I call it an H style sawbuck.

Attachments

• sawbuck1.jpg
    sawbuck1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,109
  • sawbuck4.jpg
    sawbuck4.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,080
Step on the limb to keep it from spinning. If it is flat on the ground you can toss a chunk of wood under it to keep it up off the ground.

Gary

Gary_602z said:
Step on the limb to keep it from spinning. If it is flat on the ground you can toss a chunk of wood under it to keep it up off the ground.

Gary
BINGO! beat me to it ;-P That's what we do, and I use everything off of a tree from 2" and up! the easiest way I have found is to cut the limbs into billets BEFORE cutting them off of the trunk. When we drop a tree, after it hits the ground we work from the top down. Saves a lot of bending over, and then we clean up all the little rounds before chunking up the trunks. but if the limbs are already on the ground, I use a small round, roll it under the limb I am cutting as I go along. You could also be adventurous and use a bow bar for your saw, that makes bucking blowdowns and limbs a breeze, and it never pinches if you use it right.

+1 with Scott, work from the top down
When I save limbs when cutting near home, I do it as I'm liming the tree.
I let the tree hold onto them.
Liming I use the little 14" saw, easy to handle & light weight.
A bit longer for the smaller diameter back yard cook-out fires & the bigger diameter (3" + ) to wood stove length.
My helpers like having small pieces they can handle & pick up . Then they get to ride in the wheelbarrow or trailer :)

As for cutting top down or butt up, that should be determined by how the tree lays. Sometimes I cut the top first but many times I'll also cut the butt first. Just depends on how it lays.

For cutting those limbs, a sawbuck is the fastest and easiest way and it is cheap and easy to put one together.

I usually cut stuff that is 8" and down in say 4-8ft lengths and then take it home. I lay 3 longs on the ground parallel with each other about a firewood length apart, then lay/stack all the limbs on top of each other in a pyramid and just use my foot and cut the whole pile in to fire wood length, same ideas as a sawbuck just cant do as many at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.