Best Way to Make Protruding Bricks Flush with Hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowtown

Sep 10, 2011
Alberta Canada
I have the fireplace guy coming this Wednesday to take some measurements so that he can firm up a quote.

If I get the okay from him and we are able to agree on a deal, I need to make the proturding bricks at my fireplace opening flush with the rest of the brick wall (see pics) - any suggestions?

I was thinking of simply going to a big box store and renting a tool (not sure which one) and then performing the cuts, any idea on what tool I should be asking for - perhaps an angle grinder?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,336
  • Brick_to_Remove.jpg
    Brick_to_Remove.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 4,325
madison said:
the exisiting hearth stone in front of the brick looks sorta on the shy side I would indeed make sure it is to code prior to demo. Otherwise, a hammer and chisel for the brick?

Yes, I will need a hearth extension - that is in the plans.

When the bricks are cut flush, are you refacing over them? Are you putting in an insert with a surround? Cut bricks will not look as nice as the regular uncut sides. If you are putting in an insert, check that by removing the protruding bricks you will still have the required depth. A surround kit should cover the newly exposed cuts.

As far as tool, angle grinder with diamond wheel should work.

fishingpol said:
When the bricks are cut flush, are you refacing over them? Are you putting in an insert with a surround? Cut bricks will not look as nice as the regular uncut sides. If you are putting in an insert, check that by removing the protruding bricks you will still have the required depth. A surround kit should cover the newly exposed cuts.

As far as tool, angle grinder with diamond wheel should work.

That is what I was thinking, angle grinder witha diamond wheel.

The surround just covers the cut brick.

It is a deep firebox and will hold the insert - I will not start demo until after the guy comes on wed.

Thanks.

You could rent a chipping gun - I like the Bosch SDS Plus. It is not as heavy as the larger models, is both a chipping gun and a hammer drill, and is strong enough to shave those bricks just shy of flush with ease.

Attachments

• Bosch%20SDS%20Plus%20Chip%20Hammer%20-%2011320VS.jpg
    Bosch%20SDS%20Plus%20Chip%20Hammer%20-%2011320VS.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,484
wood-fan-atic said:
You could rent a chipping gun - I like the Bosch SDS Plus. It is not as heavy as the larger models, is both a chipping gun and a hammer drill, and is strong enough to shave those bricks just shy of flush with ease.

+1 on that idea! I have used them alot and it will not make nearly as much dust or mess as the angle grinder

certified106 said:
wood-fan-atic said:

+1 on that idea! I have used them alot and it will not make nearly as much dust or mess as the angle grinder

The chipping gun - would the cut not be as flush as the angle grinder (I know the angle grinder will kick up a ton of dust, but I can prepare for that).

cowtown said:
certified106 said:
wood-fan-atic said:

The chipping gun - would the cut not be as flush as the angle grinder (I know the angle grinder will kick up a ton of dust, but I can prepare for that).

You would be surprised at how flat you can get them with a rotary hammer once you get used to using it. I figured the surround would cover the cut brick so it wouldn't be to important if they looked perfect.

madison said:
Don't forget to research the mantle clearances as well as the hearth. I would not skimp on the hearth dimension with all the nice carpets and floors. It is amazing how stuff can fly when it is raised up off the floor.

BTW really good looking cabinetry.

The guy is coming Wed to measure, I will need a hearth extension, I know that already; hence, I will pull the carpet back to accomidate it.

The hearth to the mantle is 37 9/16", the exact clearance needed for the Alderlea T5 insert, we will see how it goes Wednesday.

The chipping gun is light enough and powerful enough to be very precise, actually. You will have no problem chopping those bricks within 1/4" - 3/8" of the flat face of the hearth. The insert surround will cover any imperfections.....I had to expand my fireplace opening,too, and that is what I used. Very little mess,also. Use the small spade bit with a nice edge on it.

Brick is soft. If the surround will cover it use a masons hammer. If it's going to show the you'll have to go with something more precise.

jatoxico said:
Brick is soft. If the surround will cover it use a masons hammer. If it's going to show the you'll have to go with something more precise.

I am right on where it might/might now show, so I think I am going to use an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

Just go my first quote from a Mason - yea, $900 plus tax to cut the brick, are you kidding me?

Anyhow, for that price it looks like I am going to do it myself.

cowtown said:
Just go my first quote from a Mason - yea, $900 plus tax to cut the brick, are you kidding me?

Osillating multi tool would give very precise cut. Does not chip at brick, cuts it.

jatoxico said:
cowtown said:

Osillating multi tool would give very precise cut. Does not chip at brick, cuts it.

I was thinking the same thing, not sure if the blade woudl get all the way through the brick though.

cowtown said:
jatoxico said:
cowtown said:

I was thinking the same thing, not sure if the blade woudl get all the way through the brick though.

Once the doors are off looks like you have good access. Sounds like you only need to make a small clean edge (1" or so). $900 saved should provide sufficient motivation, that sounds like a lot of $ unless the lintel is in the way or something.

jatoxico said:
cowtown said:
jatoxico said:
cowtown said:

Once the doors are off looks like you have good access. Sounds like you only need to make a small clean edge (1" or so). $900 saved should provide sufficient motivation, that sounds like a lot of $ unless the lintel is in the way or something.

Will make a go of it - my guy is coming Wed to measure to make sure a T5 will fit the space, once I get the okay, I will provide pictures of the demo (well, only if it goes well ;) )

I wouldn't use an angle grinder to cut brick in that house. Buy a brick chisel and drill hammer.(short handled 3# hand hammer) The cleanup alone would be monumental.

Dune said:
I wouldn't use an angle grinder to cut brick in that house. Buy a brick chisel and drill hammer.(short handled 3# hand hammer) The cleanup alone would be monumental.

I was thinking of this as well. I have the brick chisel and a drill hammer.

I think first I will go with the oscilating tool with the grout removal attachement. Go brick by brick taking as much mortor and cutting as much brick as the grout remval attachement will let me. I can have my wife hold the shop-vac and suck up any dust as it comes out. Then when i have cut as much as I can, finished it off with a brick chisel.

For deeper spots, use a hammer drill with a masonry drill bit.

I think the angle grinder will be the tool of last resort (kind of like a nuclear bomb).

There are brick and masonry blades for multi tools

A lot less dust than a rotary grinder

jatoxico said:
There are brick and masonry blades for multi tools

A lot less dust than a rotary grinder

I did not know this - I will take a look into it, thanks.

give a bricker hammer and 4" brick chisel a try...you will be surprised how easily AND precisely it will cut those bricks......and if any of them do show, they will look more natural than a cutting tool will afford.....trust me I do a lot of natural stone masonry/veneer and with just a little practice you will be cuttin those bricks with a chisel and hammer like a pro....if you have access to some spare bricks you can practice outside on them...to get a feel for how to cut them...usually a couple of medium hits on each cut will do the trick.....keep us posted on how you make out!

Status
Not open for further replies.