Best Wood Stove for Large Barn (3000 sq ft)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhambley

Sep 16, 2009
East Central Kansas
Can you please give your recommendations for a wood stove that could heat an open 3,000 square foot barn?
First floor is 32 x 60 = 1,920 sq feet. with the balance of the 3,000 sq feet in the loft. The stove will be located in the center of the building.
The barn is well insulated and located in central Kansas.

It will look something like this when completed.

barnphoto.jpg

Thank you for your time.

JH

Get a huge stove with an 8" chimney like Blaze King, Hearthstone Equinox, Country Flame BBF or Buck 91.

Are there animlas going in the barn?

Just asking, not trying to stir.

I second Todd's recomendations as far as "regular" stoves go.

Alternatively, consider radiant hydronic heat (requires much less install space than forced air ducting and provides much more even heat floor to ceiling and has excellent zone control allowing heat where needed and frost protection elsewhere). A good indoor gassifier boiler would be the best way to go. This takes care of water heating during the winter season also, and in summer you can run a tankless water heater powered by NG or propane (also a perfect "backup" system if you need to go away during winter). Then throw in an open fireplace for some ambiance...

I think achieving even temperatures with a regular woodstove will be tough, particularly on the large main floor. The upstairs area may tend to be overheated.

Todd said:
Get a huge stove with an 8" chimney like Blaze King, Hearthstone Equinox, Country Flame BBF or Buck 91.

Need some more info here. How well insulated. How will the floor plan be divided up, ie: are you using stalls for bedrooms? :coolsmirk:

A lot of us talk about heating a barn, you are talking about living in one. We need some floor plan info.

Building is 32' x 60'

R19 walls, R38 ceilings on insulated slab.

24' x 32' open area in center of the barn...opened to ceiling height of 23' at peak. Stove will sit in this center section. A loft on west end that is 16' x 32'. Another loft on east end of building that is 20' x 32'. Plan to use plenty of ceiling fans to circulate the heat back from the ceilings/lofts.

JH

jhambley said:
No animals in this barn. This will be our new home we are building on our farm.

JH

Oh, how cool, allrighty !!!! Talk about "free rein" :lol:

"what were you born in a barn!!!?" might be yelled at your offspring if they leave the door open

I don't think it is right for the application but the consensus opinion is going to be a Hearthstone Equinox playing a semi masonry heater role in that place.

Personally I would put the biggest Buck steel stove in there. Radiant heat is going to be the best player in that joint. Slow and low ain't gonna keep that place warm when as dad used to say "There is nothing between us and the North Pole tonight but a barbed wire fence. And it blew down."

And Kansas was between us in North Texas and the North Pole on those nights.

Man, when I stumble home some cold January Saturday night this year and the wife kicks me out into the cold, I want to have a pad like that to crash in.

Rockey said:
Man, when I stumble home some cold January Saturday night this year and the wife kicks me out into the cold, I want to have a pad like that to crash in.

Hell Rocky you can't heat your house with a big ass cat insert and a 30-NC. What the hell ya gonna heat another barn with. :lol:

I hope to heat it with some of your hot air Brother. I'll have a cold one ready for you.

The Quadrafire 5700 step top I just had installed is rated to heat up to 3500 SQFT. Has a blower also and was $1899 base price. Mine was more because I went fancy with nickel legs and door trim. Also It has a 3.4 cubic foot fire box which when packed full is supposed to yield a 12 plus hr burn time (we'll see) it qualifies for the tax credit as it is supposed to be 76% efficient. It has an 11'' fire view window and adds a nice rustic look to our home.

I think I have a great recommendation. Get a Hitzer 983. It will easily heat 3000 square feet and will burn either wood or coal and will work as an insert or free standing. It lists for only $1900 and is made by the Amish. I like that it has an ash pan that you can shake down to, I wish my Jotul insert would do that. If you want to burn Anthracite coal it will do that just fine, or any coal. Nice for burning all night without any worry. I wish I could have got one but my wife killed the idea. Check it out, I think you will be impressed. The only down side I saw was that it is not eligible for the 30 percent tax rebate but it is already cheap enough. It does not qualify because you know how Obama hates coal.

Rockey said:
I hope to heat it with some of your hot air Brother. I'll have a cold one ready for you.

And your suggestion to heat his barn is??

jhambley said:
Can you please give your recommendations for a wood stove that could heat an open 3,000 square foot barn?
First floor is 32 x 60 = 1,920 sq feet. with the balance of the 3,000 sq feet in the loft. The stove will be located in the center of the building.

barnphoto.jpg

Thank you for your time.

JH

BB I seem to remember jhambley wanted a recommendation for a wood stove for a 3000 sq ft barn, this is stove that would do it. That is my recommendation even though I got a Jotul for the looks and heat but only 2000 sq feet. I think a Centrally located Hitzer would do the job.

My wife has always liked the idea of converting a barn to a home. Please give us some pictures to drool over.

If the stove was near the middle of the structure I think any of the newer 3cu ft fire box stoves would be adequate.

If heating with a wood stove, this is 4+ cu ft fire box territory. I'd go with the HS EQ or the BKK, the buck 91 would be a consideration as well.

Either way, you're going to want some ceiling fans in those loft areas!

jhambley said:
Building is 32' x 60'

R19 walls, R38 ceilings on insulated slab.

24' x 32' open area in center of the barn...opened to ceiling height of 23' at peak. Stove will sit in this center section. A loft on west end that is 16' x 32'. Another loft on east end of building that is 20' x 32'. Plan to use plenty of ceiling fans to circulate the heat back from the ceilings/lofts.

JH

Based on the numbers above you are looking to heat nearly 3900 sq. ft. You might be pushing it with a large single stove. If you have the budget for it I would suggest you look into an EPA Outdoor Wood Boiler / Furnace.

jhambley said:

barnphoto.jpg

Thank you for your time.

JH

As someone who has 2 stoves...and might have a third by next winter...may I suggest using more than one stove?

...and some ceiling fans for any part of the house with a high ceiling.

If this were Jags homestead, I would be gettin' me one of them fancyfied gasifier with about 1500 gal of water storage for the main heat. Then you could pick what ever wood stove you want to stare at on the inside.

With as much airspace that you are going to have, you are gonna get stratification unless you run a B52 hung from the ceiling with a nose down angle of attack.

Zone heat with the gasifier. Run the wood stove for pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.