Biber classic twisted splitting wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggyspapa

Nov 26, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
In two years or a little less, I have mushroomed an Eastwing wedge down to the "spreader" tops. Pieces have begun to zing off and I'm not going to use it at least until I get to a grinder and see if it can be cleaned up.

So, following somebody's links to some higher quality wedges, I ordered a Biber classic from Traditional Woodworker. Wow! what an elegant piece. Not cheap by any means.
Eastwing wedge2.36.jpgEastwing wedge1.04.jpgWedge n sledge.jpgWedge in box.jpg
Put it in a few rounds last light despite the rain. A couple of 18" long and round rounds of oak and maple were absolutely no contest, but they are so straight I didn't expect much fight. At most two whacks with the Fiskars. Still, the wedge did them in one. Then I tried a big chunk of nasty box elder that just seemed to swallow the regular wedges even after getting them in over half way with 8 hits. Three whacks and done. (Please withhold the "push the lever" comments, fellers, I don't own a splitter!)

If it lasts as long as it should, I'd guess the wedge is worth the cost. It is not a gimmick.

That is one sweet lookin' wedge. I am a "pull the lever" guy but I have wedges and a BFH. Sometimes the round is just too much for me to man-handle to the splitter and unfortunately "just roll them" only works if they really are somewhat "round". 'Cause you know we all split 24" diameter or less perfectly round and arrow straight logs. ;)

If that wedge works as good as you say (and I don't doubt it), then it most likely worth every penny of what you paid. Post some more pics of it once you have a cord or two split.

Yes, this is an expensive wedge, of which I would have remained blissfully unaware without all the other temptation some members are throwing out at the drop of the hat...Thistle, that's enough of the links!

Wowzers...! thats alot of cake.:eek:

I have a splitter but think I have also discovered a new project(s) for this winters forging. Should be a pretty big challenge - If anyone orders one and gets them on the phone please ask what the steel is? I am guessing 1040 but it would help to start with the correct steel.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.