Big E and 3" Simpson Appliance Adapter Install: To screw or not to screw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
The Simpson directions do not say to put a screw in their 3" appliance adapter on the stove end but it seems loose? Should I screw the adapter to the stove exhaust port? And if I should, does it matter if the sheet metal screw goes through the stove output and into the vent? I sealed it with RTV but it still seems that it should be a little tighter.

I didn't ask about sealant being a substitute, I asked if I needed to screw it. If you're not going to give good advice and just tell me about "code", you can skip over my threads.

jmbones said:
I didn't ask about sealant being a substitute, I asked if I needed to screw it. If you're not going to give good advice and just tell me about "code", you can skip over my threads.

I dont believe Smokey was trying to give bad advise. No need to jump the gun.. Have you read the entire manual front to back??

Been awhile since I read the manual (installed my Fathers pellet stove 4 weeks ago/done around 7 stoves total) but I believe it says that "all connections" should have screws. Could be wrong. But I am almsot certain that you have to screw the appliance adapter to the exhaust outlet. If you only did one connection. It should be that one. Because Simpson Dura-Vent screws together. This would be the easiest piece to come loose in the system. While the others would have to be twisted.

It would be wise to do so. Some stoves are harder to get at than others. Some have a longer exhaust outlet and makes for more room to get at.

DexterDay said:
jmbones said:

I dont believe Smokey was trying to give bad advise. No need to jump the gun.. Have you read the entire manual front to back??

Been awhile since I read the manual (installed my Fathers pellet stove 4 weeks ago/done around 7 stoves total) but I believe it says that "all connections" should have screws. Could be wrong. But I am almsot certain that you have to screw the appliance adapter to the exhaust outlet. If you only did one connection. It should be that one. Because Simpson Dura-Vent screws together. This would be the easiest piece to come loose in the system. While the others would have to be twisted.

It would be wise to do so. Some stoves are harder to get at than others. Some have a longer exhaust outlet and makes for more room to get at.

The OP needs to understand he is playing with something that can kill him.

Those codes exist exactly for the reason of preventing that from happening.

Understandable, I know what can kill me. I am a PA State Asst Forest Fire Warden and volunteer firefighter. I don't need lecture on codes, I just wanted to know if I should screw it or not. The directions for the Simpson Duravent actually say you do not need to screw any of the joints, but it is optional.

Put a couple screws in the god damn adapter to stove connection.

Takes 5 minutes.

Breckwell says that the adapter must be attached with three screws, 500°F RTV and foil tape.

They also recommend that all joints of the venting be secured by three screws and RTV and that all horizontal joints need foil tape.

jmbones said:
.......I know what can kill me. I am a PA State Asst Forest Fire Warden and volunteer firefighter. I don’t need lecture on codes....

And Smokey was supposed to know this how???

Next time, try being a little less sensitive and way less defensive, especially when YOU asked for help/opinions, AND when someone is trying to HELP YOU and also make sure your safe.

Thanks guys, I already have all joints sealed and taped. I'll throw some screws in the adapter. I'm not sensitive and defensive, seems Smokey was harping about codes since I started posting cuz I am putting this in a garage, thats all. Where I am there really are no codes, permits or inspections to worry about. Just need to make sure it's done safe, which is what I am doing.

jmbones said:
Thanks guys, I already have all joints sealed and taped. I'll throw some screws in the adapter. I'm not sensitive and defensive, seems Smokey was harping about codes since I started posting cuz I am putting this in a garage, thats all. Where I am there really are no codes, permits or inspections to worry about. Just need to make sure it's done safe, which is what I am doing.

Everyone who cares will bring up if your in violation with a code. Up to you whatever you actually do. But up to them/us to explain the dangers involved if you do violate them.

When I was growing up, my Father always "yelled at me because he Cared" said if he disnt care about me, he wouldnt yell. Never made sense till I had my own kids. Now I realize that you do come down on someone harder when you "do care"

It would behoove Smokey to not say anything... But then that would show how little he cares about someones safety. And Smokey is one of the Top notch fellas who has read many, a many, a many, manuals and does what he does to help people. Because he cares.

After you have been informed. It is up to you. You have decided to add the screws. Good call. Are you the 1st person with a woodstove or pellet stove in there garage. NOPE.. I personally know a couple people.

Good luck with the Big E. And just no that the job Smokey does, pays very little (nothing at all). Keep that in mind too. Your not the 1st to be called on code, nor the last.

Cheers.....

Look folks first j-takeman made notice of the garage setup, that was followed by Eric Kinsman who quoted the NFPA code which was followed by me hitting Eric upside the head with that code meant nothing unless it was incorporated by reference without modifications to that section, all I said in defense of that code was I happened to agree with it, then jmbones mentioned there was no local governing code, to which I warned him to check what the state says, the funny things about code is each jurisdiction can get its paws into the matter and liquid brown stuff just pours down from above.

Then there is the other multi ton gorilla in the room, namely your insurance company, most of those are apt to have a fit with that heater in the garage. They show their disdain by sending you a notice to remove or they will cancel your policy. This allows yet another multi ton gorilla into the situation, should the insurance company say bye bye, they will notify any mortgage holder of the cancellation, the maintenance of insurance is a requirement for most mortgages.

Now I've seen the progression from cancellation of insurance, I had that happen to me when an insurance company stopped doing business in the state, even though my agent had another policy already in the pipeline to the bank. I got a nasty-gram from the bank. It was a lot milder than the one they, my agent, and the first insurance got from me.

So while code may not matter there are still other things that do.

Dot your i s and cross your t s.

I for one will continue to warn about things, sorry it is just the way I work. What you do with the information is what you do.

jmbones said:
.....I'm not sensitive and defensive.......

Yeah, right.......

Oh, and BTW, it seems he's helped you out in the past, but i didn't notice you having any problem with his advice then.

You should just man-up and apologize to Smokey who was only trying to KEEP YOU SAFE.

Again, appreciate the advice and tips. Not sure where anyone has helped me in the past. I won't appologize to anyone. I just installed the stove today and just started posting within the week or two (I think). Smokey, thanks for the tips and advice, it is all taken into account and my install is done in a safe manner. I heed all the precautions and this site is a wealth of information. I plan to fire up the stove sometime tomorrow (that is if the 6mo old daughter and wife allow me to!)...

Kinda wondering why the OP even asked with all his credentials and all.

hey, Im sure the OP was just asking to confirm his suspicions! Know that many of these folks LIVE here (look at the number of some of these posts of these folks), and they tend to recall things ( or look up things!) that many normally wouldnt. No need for a pissing match here......its all good.......and, FWIW, you should ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's recommendations......if they say screw it, screw it, if the dont say to screw it, DONT....in actuality, if you think you are "making it better" by going above and beyond, sometimes you are actually compromising the integrity of the system by doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.