Big E Starting Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodge

Nov 22, 2008
Eastern Pa.
I shut down my stove to empty the ashpan and clean the burnpot last night. this morning when I went to start it, there was no blower or motor noise just an electrical hum and only a few pellets dropped into the pot. The control panel then started to blink, I want to say #2, I have to look at the panel from an angle because it is close to my oil burner. I then shut it off and did this about 3x. On the 4th try it was start up as usual. The stove was installed Nov. 2008 and I burn about 3+ton a year. Upon start up i usually hear a squealing nosie, that seems to take longer to go away over the last 2 yrs. I am asking for help in troubleshooting this so I can order the necessary parts to have on hand when the time comes when it won't start back up. Also, suggestions on who I can order the parts from instead of breckwell. Thanks.

Dodge said:
I am asking for help in troubleshooting this so I can order the necessary parts to have on hand when the time comes when it won't start back up. Also, suggestions on who I can order the parts from instead of breckwell. Thanks.

Give Eric at Kinsman Stoves a call. He's a Breckwell dealer and certified tech, so he probably can give you some ideas about your problem, and also gives a discount on parts/supplies to hearth.com members....he's a great guy.

Call him at the Brookfield store.....they're open on Saturdays between 9am-2pm

www.kinsmanstoves.com

Thanks, for Eric's link, i was hoping he was logged on, but I will give him a call.

Smokey, I every year I clean the combustion blower in the spring and use a toothbrush on the fins. On 12/31 I did the leafblower thing and vacumned behind the firebox doors.

Did you clean the vacuum hose? Pull it off at the switch and blow air back towards the stove. #2 light is usually a vacuum issue. Which also means draft. Damper could also be closed a little to far. Or you could have a plugged vent/dirty stove. There are many tips in the manual on the #2 flash.

Dodge said:
Smokey, I every year I clean the combustion blower in the spring and use a toothbrush on the fins. On 12/31 I did the leafblower thing and vacumned behind the firebox doors.

Is the squeal coming from the combustion blower? If so the bearings are likely on their way out, it can cause problems with pressure inside the firebox and lead to a blinking number 2 light. Also if there is packed ash in the ash traps that didn't get sucked out it might set up a whistling noise as well. Dampers have also been known to cause issues leading to a number 2 shutdown as have bad gaskets (these also under some conditions lead to whistling).

That could also be why you have slow start ups. If the motor is dragging, It doesn't get up to full speed. It will act like it has a plugged vent. After several resets it gets warmed up enough to gain more speed. Enough to get enough vacuum to satisfy the switch and off she goes. I'd drop some oil on the bearings even if it doesn't have oil ports. You might be able to stretch it out until you get a new motor delivered.

The squealing is usually at start up and then goes away. One thing to note is I did have about 2" of water in my basement for about 4 days this fall due to the flooding, however the stove has been running on/off due to the warm temps. since haloween.

J-takeman, by buying a new motor do you mean a combustion blower?

Smokey, am I correct in assuming that you agree that it would probably be a safe bet to buy another combuston blower as a back up. And is a dealer the only place I can buy a part like that? Breckwell is asking about $177.00.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Dodge said:
J-takeman, by buying a new motor do you mean a combustion blower?

That I believe is what he is hinting at.

Yes, And after hearing the motor might have gotten wet. It's something I would get on quickly. You can get cheapier motors from other places. Here is just one, See link.

http://tinyurl.com/7exxt5d

My room fan gets noisy on my St Croix Pepin if it's dirty... quiets down after a few minutes after start-up.

Check for a dirty fan.

krooser said:
My room fan gets noisy on my St Croix Pepin if it's dirty... quiets down after a few minutes after start-up.

Check for a dirty fan.

That was why I asked about cleaning the combustion blower since he was having issues getting the stove to even fire.

Sounds like the combustion blower is bad. When is the last time you cleaned the venting and not just the, "I slapped it like a step child" cleaning. I mean a total cleaning? I am out of blowers at this moment.

dodge, Once you get your new motor, Don't chuck the old one. You can easily change the bearings for about $6.00 and keep it for a spare. The motor is fine, Its just the bearing's are toast.

You can get the bearings at a motor shop, bearing house or even an auto parts store. I'll see if I can dig up the numbers.

Thanks for the replys! Eric, I usually fire it up around Veterans day and burn about 3+ tons a yr since 2008. What has been working for me so far is, once a month I clean behind the ash doors. The last 2 yrs I've used the leaf blower on new years eve and the second week in Feb. Upon shut down in the spring I do the leaf blower along with a semi hard sponge attached to a drain snake from the end cap and then from the tee. At that time I take the panels off and clean both blower blades/squirrel cage and the pressure hose. I then procede to vacumm everthing reachable. This year I've been burning the presto logs with good results, not many clinkers. I guess I can agree with the forum test that the prestologs have a bit more ash, but as far as effecting my stove, I am not burning as much due to the warm temps. (so Far). So that should balance things out. One thing I noticed with the prestologs is that I am finding a lot of longer pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.