Big Moves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixman

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Central Texas
Just moved the pot of deer chili from the cooking surface of the Endeavor to the warming top to let it simmer for a while. Sure smells good!!! Hope all my Hearth.com friends have a great evening!!!!

This was my youngest's first buck, it was a small 8 point, from the field to the cookstove. We had a great time this year and she got three deer for us to eat. I know how much I enjoy the pictures posted by members so I put some up for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 449
sixman said:
Just moved the pot of deer chili from the cooking surface of the Endeavor to the warming top to let it simmer for a while. Sure smells good!!! Hope all my Hearth.com friends have a great evening!!!!
You are killing me. I deer hunted for over 35 years and don't anymore and I sure do miss deer chili :-S

I am what's the weather like in Central Texas? Woke up to -6 this morning and buried in snow still from Wed storm.

The weather is just barely chili weather actually but my daughter has really been after me to cook up some of her deer. It has been in the 40's most of the day after a really cold week of teens for lows and low 30's for the high.

I warmed some venison chilli on mine as well last weekend.

I believe that is the wrong place for your thermometer. It should go essenitally above the door on the flat surface, above the area where the firebrick stops and the exhaust exits. This should be the hottest place on the stove. I'll have to check the manual to insure that I am correct.

Page 17 of the manual under the section on Overfiring:

If you are uncertain of over-firing conditions, we suggest placing a stove thermometer (e.g. Rutland® Model 710) directly over the door on the stove top - temperatures exceeding 800° are generally considered over-firing and will void the warranty.

MarkinNC said:
Page 17 of the manual under the section on Overfiring:

If you are uncertain of over-firing conditions, we suggest placing a stove thermometer (e.g. Rutland® Model 710) directly over the door on the stove top - temperatures exceeding 800° are generally considered over-firing and will void the warranty.

The manual may say that is the hottest place but my IR gun and my two thermometers say otherwise. The one closer to the door always reads a little cooler, even if you swap thermometers. I used the IR gun to find the hottest spot and that is where I put it. Disregard the black spot on the top thermometer, spilled some stew on it a couple weeks back.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 417
I can guarantee you my brother-in-law is out at the deer camp near Archer City, Texas this very moment.

Last weekend to fill the freezer! Hope he has good luck.

That's a great first buck! And nothin like some good ol venison chili.

Im actually eating venison taco's as we speak while a batch of goose jerky is marinating in the fridge. Man i love not havin to buy meat at the store!

Joel we are actually showing goats at the stock show tomorrow and just got out of the deer stand. She was running over 100 degree fever and felt pretty bad but she really wanted to hunt the last day of the season. She napped a bit till the deer came out, she shot at a doe around 225 yds and missed. That was her first miss of the season! Ain't nothing better than time in the field with my baby girl. We came home to some deer chili, a warm fire and watching tv while snacking on some homemade jerky.

My next stove will be a step top. I can just smell that chilli now. Dont' forget the cornbread and some cheese and onions!

Status
Not open for further replies.