Big Oak taken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow
Several years of fire wood for you in one tree.
I bet the seismometers recorded that one hitting the ground :)

Close, I burn a cord a month or so. I don't really know how long this will last me. My usuall takes are arborist dumps of Eucolyptus, Fir, Pine, Silver Maple, and Walnut. This is the first time I've had so much oak. We'll see how long this lasts.

I can tell you that, when we were de-limbing that tree, the earth shook as the larger branches hit the ground (from 15 feet up).

It turns out that this tree came down durring a storm. It took out the power to 50 homes where everyone was watching the last 15 minutes of the US vs Canada Olympic Hocky game. They had to read about who one in the paper the next day.

Huge tree. Did you saw the biggest rounds into quarters to get them small enough to put onto the splitter?
How do you like the fir? My balsam fir is a low btu softwood, with sticky sap that pops out of bark bubbles.
Thanks for the pics!
Happy burning!

Yes some we had to - but more like in half.

I've not burned any of the Fir yet. The arborist truck just showed up out of the blue and dumped a 7 yard truck load in my vinyard - a week before we took the oak. This stuff does not have any sap. Its looks a lot like Doug Fir but I know its not. What the hey, its all free wood.

Nice score!! If it is green, those 6 cords are probably closer to 30,000lbs. What did you haul it with and how many trips?

Flatbedford said:
Nice score!! If it is green, those 6 cords are probably closer to 30,000lbs. What did you haul it with and how many trips?

We took 9 1/2 ton truck loads (each riding on the axle) and 9 4x4x8 trailer loads (near riding on the axel). I'd bet you are right about the 30,000lbs. Each cord of wet oak is about 5000lbs (by the charts at least).

Try groveling in silicon valley for 25 years. Then you will be happy where you are. How much is a pound of flesh worth?

Also you forgot to mension that I've only got a ms390 not a 361 :0

That was a big oak and give it a few years and you'll be amazed how many btu's and how much burntime it provides compared to pine..

Ray

HeatsTwice said:
Try groveling in silicon valley for 25 years. Then you will be happy where you are. How much is a pound of flesh worth?

Also you forgot to mension that I've only got a ms390 not a 361 :0
Well I hear ya, I don't hammer on people about there chain saws even it it is a cheapie. Sometimes life just does't take us where we want to go, I can't complain but I do any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.