Big ol' pile of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
I was out of town for work and my wife moved all the wood from the old house to the new house. I guess it's my job to stack it.

(clickable thumbnail)

th_woodPile2.jpg

I checked a few of the splits with my moisture meter by splitting them again. The smaller ones were 15%; the larger are more like 22%. There is some pear a the bottom of the stack that fell last summer that's 25%. We probably won't need any of this until next year because we have a good half cord of really well seasoned wood already stacked. Don't even have the insert yet...

Lucky you! Nice to have a little help once in awhile. My wife decided last wekend it was time to learn how to run the splitter. Between the 2 of us we split & stacked a truck load I brought home that morning in less than 1/2 the time it would have taken me by myself.....we rewarded our efforts with an enhanced beverage on the deck.

Tell her, all of us here say
"Good Job!"
Now get some pallets down & get it stacked up, She got it this far, & left you the easy step. :) LOL

That looks good pyper. Nice and close to the house. Where do you stack it? Inside, outside? How much do you figure you have there?

Damn, my wife would NEVER do such a thing. You better get her some flowers or something. You sir have a good woman there.

Shawn

Gasifier said:
That looks good pyper. Nice and close to the house. Where do you stack it? Inside, outside? How much do you figure you have there?

Thanks. I figure there's probably a cord, or maybe a little more. I'm stacking it under the deck, which probably isn't ideal, but we don't have a lot of options. Fortunately it's mostly dry.

I have a half cord or so inside that's already dry. In fact, a lot of it is old rough cut oak. I'm planning on burning the indoor stuff first. I won't put any of the wood in the photo indoors because of the bugs in it.

Thanks for the idea Dave! I handn't thought about pallets, but I had some at the other house and your post inspired me to move them to stack on. I've gotten started on the stacking. I like stacking -- kind of like a jigsaw puzzle with no wrong solutions.

;-)

Pyper,

I stack my wood under a covered porch. But the porch has spaces between the deck boards. So when the snow gets in on the porch and I shovel it off I get snow on the top pieces of wood. Not to bad, but can be a pain. I plastic off one section where the wind blows most of it in. You might try putting some plastic over the top of your wood under the deck and make sure it will stay there. Have a good one.

Thanks. I have some pieces of scrap metal roofing, so I just put pieces of that on the wood that's being stored. No snow to worry about here, either

Status
Not open for further replies.