Biggest Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Have a massive Ash tree on my parents land. Just cut up a "branch" of it that fell to the ground. This "branch" was 24" in diameter and was about 25 feet up before it dropped! I would love to know how old this tree is......

measure around the whole tree and divide by pie....3.14

awesome, I love big old trees!

you could contact one of the following places

college or university - biology, environmental studies, or forestry department

state forestry department

usda forest service

local agricultural extension agency

one of those places is likely to have a tree corer that they might let you borrow - although, they might not have one big enough to do a tree that big. Also, if the tree is hollow in the middle it won't work because many of the rings would be missing. the tree corer takes a very small 'core' out of the tree that looks like a long pencil or dowel, and you can count all of the rings to determine the age of the tree. the trick is that you have to hit the center of the tree isn't always in the center of the tree.

just don't do like the research scientist who wanted to know how old a bristlecone pine tree was out in the west, so he cut down the tree, and then found out that it WAS the oldest living tree on record - lot of angry scientists - that guy must have felt like the biggest idiot.

Yea this is one big ole ash for sure. Just the look of the bark you can tell. Although you got me thinking with that hole in the middle comment. The branch that I cut up did have a hole in the middle from the ants eating it. However it has been down for a couple of years so they may have gotten to it once it was down? But it makes me wonder what the middle of the actual tree looks like. This tree is right by the driveway of there house so.......I should get someone to really check this tree out.

a lot of times, if the center is hollow, you can tell from the outside - there will be a knot hole or a hole at the base or something that will show you that its hollow.

even so, trees can live for a LONG time with a hollow center, as the wood in the center is dead anyways. there's a big old willow oak down near where my parents live that has had a big exposed hollow center for as long as anyone can remember.

Yea definitely no hole in the base of this thing. So maybe they did just get to it once it was on the ground.

Yea that is a big Ash too! But the one my parents have over there place is even bigger believe it or not.......

I was just at an arboretum in Morristown NJ and saw the biggest ashes I've ever seen. The bark was like normal size ash bark except it look like it was on steroids. These trees were at least 3' in diameter probably close to 4'.

Status
Not open for further replies.