Biggest waste of wood this side of the Mississippi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Driving to work today, there was a tree clearing service taking down 2-3 acres of maple, ash, and cherry. They wont let anyone come and cut any of it up do to liability. It will all go into the chipper...

Its really bad. They need to have a "I won't sure you" waiver or something...

You might try asking them if they will load log length onto a trailer. I ran into the same thing and it was all about the liability of running saws etc...on their property.

As someone who is about to install a woodstove after a long battle with insurance companies I can completely agree with the frustration about wood being cleared like this.

It seems that everywhere I look in our region I see standing and fallen dead wood that is just begging to be utilized to heat homes.

The most incredibly frustrating thing to see is when farmland is being cleared of trees. Bulldozers push down the trees in large windrows. After a few months drying time the piles are lit and burn for several days, sometimes even weeks. Every few weeks the piles are relit and pushed in closer until they eventually are gone.

My goal this late winter/early spring is to begin the clean up of a small triangle of bush that is full of standing and fallen Ash trees. The dead elms are virtually all gone because our provincial government pays people to tromp through the bush all winter cutting, burning and chipping the dead elms for disposal. Millions and millions of BTU's gone.

Are they dumping on site or hauling away?

If hauling--- it will (at least) become mulch -- that's not a waste - it may be sold to a sawdust buyer - it may be going to a biomas boiler

Don't be a jealous sort.

There is a general a very good market for chipped biomass and many companies have long term contracts they need to fill. NJ has some great renewable incentives so I expect chipped biomass is worth a bit. There also could be some sort of quarantine zone and the landscaper has to control where the wood goes (which would be difficult to administer by giving it away to homeowners.

Status
Not open for further replies.